[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Data bases

u-tholly%sunset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Troy Holly) (02/12/90)

I want to buy a data base and would like a recommendation as what to buy.
There seems to be a lot of hype about dBase III but it costs about $500.
The main use of the data base will be to keep track of customer accounts.
Is dBase III really worth the money, or can I get something similar for
less?

Thanks,

-Troy

\ u-tholly@ug.utah.edu, holly@science.math.utah.edu, (internet *) NULL;
 \/
 /\ Discovery consists of seeing what everyone else has seen and
   \ thinking what no one else has thought. - anonymous

dyurman@cdp.UUCP (02/13/90)

You didn't say whether you needed relational functions or not . . .
but Paradox by Borland goes for about $450 and is far superior to
dBase III.  System requirements are PC/AT and at least a 20 Mb
hard disk.  Paradox also does nicely on NEC ProSpeed portables
and similarly configured machines.  Expanded memory makes for faster
performance.  There is a '386 version which has its own DOS
extender.

Paradox works well in LAN configuration.  It has graphics, which
dBase does not.  Accepts files from dBase, Lotus, etc.

The product is table driven and reports can be assembled quickly.
It has a programming language if you want to develop custom applications.
Norland supports developers. Contact the company.

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb11.234247.13256@hellgate.utah.edu>, u-tholly%sunset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Troy Holly) writes:

> Is dBase III really worth the money, or can I get something similar for
> less?
> Thanks,

There is a menu-based dBase III+ clone in the shareware arena called
Wampus (?). It does cost money (cheap) once you decide to keep it,
but you get a healthy "let-me-see-if-I-like-it" time period.

--

  "It's such a fine line between clever..."     < Doug Lucy           DC Pro >
  "...and stupid."                              < uucp:   uunet!tropez!dlucy >

lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) (02/21/90)

In article <127@tropez.UUCP> dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) writes:
>There is a menu-based dBase III+ clone in the shareware arena called
>Wampus (?). It does cost money (cheap) once you decide to keep it,

Wampum...
Also,
PCFile plus from Buttonware has a
new version, and PCFile:DB both