[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary: Gradebook programs

lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (david lu) (02/21/90)

Hi.  Earlier I posted a request for gradebook programs.  Well,
I like to thank everyone who replied.  Here's a short summary.
I originally posted this for a friend of mine, and I've forwarded
all the replies to him.  It will be up to him as to which
program he will use.

Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug MarShall) writes:
>There MAY be a program on SIMTEL20. They list 2 programs that I can see -
>one is called 'AEIUS240.ARC' and has a one line description of "Teacher's
>gradebook". The other is called 'GRADEBOK.ARC' and has a one line desciption
>of "Maintain teacher's grade book". The directory listings do not tell what
>kind of ware it is. If you don't have ftp access (I don't), I can explain to
>you in simple terms how the files can be obtained via e-mail. Let me know if
>you would like my help. If you do have ftp access or know about getting the
>files via e-mail, they are in the PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION> directory.

There indeed is a program called AEIUS240.ARC, and another called
GRADEBOK.ARC, on simtel, in the PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION> directory.
Here's a note from someone who has used AEIUS:

kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) writes:
>Another approach would be to use a simple database.  PFS Professional
>File springs to mind.  Its cheap, the learning curve is slight, and it
>will do at least the mean.  I'm not sure about std. dev. or variance.
>If you have any more specific questions, just write.

Another person mentioned that an advantage of a commercial spreadsheet
is that one can get access to the file structure of the spreadsheet
more easily, in case something should go wrong.  It's a very good point.
Unfotunately, this assumes a certain programming expertise that my
friend does not have, so we thought that a custom gradebook program might
be a better choice in this case.

A number of other peoples (jec@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John Carter) and
kahn@math.nwu.edu (Daniel S. Kahn)) suggests a shareware program called
Grade Guide from

>	Public Brand Software
>	P.O. Box 51315
>	Indianapolis, IN 46251
>	1-800-426-DISK

It's disk #ET1.2, $5 per disk, plus $5 shipping.  Registration for
the program itself is $25.

oravax!mary@wrath.cs.cornell.edu (Mary E. Douthitt) writes:
>I seem to recall seeing a software package for teachers in a
>Power Up! catalog.  I can't find the catalog at this moment but I
>will try to dig it up and get back to you.  If I forget and you
>still need the info, remind me.

I've also had some offers for (home-grown) commercial programs,
and one offer for beta-testing a shareware program.  One person
even send me an uuencoded .ZIP file of his program.  I forwarded
all these offerings to the person I originally posted for.  It'll
be up to him to try out different programs, and decide which he
will use.  If anyone else is interested, I will forward all the
mails to you as well.  Just let me know.

lawnet!nosc!ucsd.edu!albion.utah.edu!cs.utah.edu!CC.UTAH.EDU!ORCUTT%ames.UUCP
(no name) writes:
>I have seen a package called "Teacher's Pet"
>for the ATARI 1040's, but I suppose you wanted
>a P. C. program...

I'm including this mail in case someone with an Atari also wants
a gradebook program.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

						- David

---==lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu==---  just another bewildered college undergraduate.