[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there a cheap way to add memory to an Intel InBoard?

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (02/17/90)

A friend of mine has a clone XT with an Intel InBoard 386 card.  The
card has 1MB of memory installed, which is all it can hold.  Some kind
of daughterboard is available, but is very expensive.  Does anyone
know if a clone memory expansion board exists, or if memory expansion
boards from any other products will work with this card?

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (02/21/90)

< Krasny Oktyabr:  the hunt is on, March 2, 1990 >

In article <9262@portia.Stanford.EDU>, dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
> A friend of mine has a clone XT with an Intel InBoard 386 card.  The
> card has 1MB of memory installed, which is all it can hold.  Some kind
> of daughterboard is available, but is very expensive.  Does anyone
> know if a clone memory expansion board exists, or if memory expansion
> boards from any other products will work with this card?

I doubt that there's a compatible daughter board.  I'll bet, though,
that the one megabyte of installed memory is thirty two or (if there's
partity checking) thirty six 256Kbit chips.  See if there's some way to
put 1Mbit chips in instead; that'll give him four megabytes.  (Since a
386 needs thirty two bit wide memory, you can't go half and half.)

>  -David Hinds, dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.