[comp.sys.ibm.pc] COBOL compiler for AT?

reischl@siecomp.uucp (02/15/90)

Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware COBOL compiler and if so, where it is
available?

Wolfgang Reischl
(reischl@siecomp.UUCP)

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) (02/17/90)

rp>Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware COBOL compiler and if so, where
rp>it is available?

   You might investigate the commercial "Utah COBOL" compiler from
Ellis Computing  (702) 827-3030.

   It is, I believe, an "enhanced subset" of ANSI 74, has been around
for many years (now up to v 5.0), and costs $30 + s&h. It requires
add-ins such as Btrieve and SayWhat to support some of the features.

   It's advertised on p. 358 of the January 1990 issue of Byte.

   You could also investigate "Personal COBOL" from MicroFocus. It's
listed at $125 from Programmer's Connection  (800) 336-1166 (USA).

   I believe that both products have certain limitations. TANSTAFL.

   If there IS a PD / Shareware compiler, I'd be interested in it as
well   (I have Digital Research Level II COBOL, but it's too awkward
and slow to run on an old PC).

   btw  Does anyone know whether Micro Focus arranged to take over
support, or offer upgrades, to the DRI Level II package ?
(it's essentially Micro Focus Level II with DRI Access and Screen
managers).
     mark.freedman@canremote.uucp - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4219  Chain me, beat me, make me code in PASCAL ...

n8948315@unicorn.WWU.EDU (arthur morgan) (02/21/90)

In article <276.25da72fb@siecomp.uucp> reischl@siecomp.uucp writes:
>Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware COBOL compiler and if so, where it is
>available?

You might try Utah Cobol. It is a commercial program, but is only about 49
or 59 bucks. I bought the CP/M implmentation to run on my apple several
years back, and was quite satisfied with it, so the MS-DOS implementation
should be a good deal for that kind of money. Reply if you need more info.
(Now to go and find that manual to get the address of those people who
put it out...)

p.s. I tried to respond by E-mail, but my system bounces UUCP addresses. Do
you have an Internet Address?