[comp.sys.ibm.pc] File transfer problems

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (02/21/90)

If uploading using Ymodem works on one bulletin board but
not on another, I'd think it was the bulletin board.
At least the modem manufacturer said so (natcherly).
But the sysop of the bulletin board in question says
that other folks use Ymodem on his board with no problem.

I can live with using Xmodem for this bulletin board, but
is there a chance it could be the modem?  I'm using
Procomm Plus (no problems before) and a new 2400 baud
internal modem.  Call waiting disabled.  No MNP.  Local call.

Your emaild or posted responses are appreciated!

David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/22/90)

In article <31@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>If uploading using Ymodem works on one bulletin board but
>not on another, I'd think it was the bulletin board.
>At least the modem manufacturer said so (natcherly).
>But the sysop of the bulletin board in question says
>that other folks use Ymodem on his board with no problem.
>
>I can live with using Xmodem for this bulletin board, but
>is there a chance it could be the modem?  I'm using

This is not an entirely uncommon problem, that is that one file
transfer protocol works for one BBS but not for another.  The
problem is not limited to ymodem only, and it occurs in such a
variety that it is impossible to solve your particular problem.  Two
general reasons a common, and both have to do with modems.  The
first is that despite standards, different makes of modems are not
always 100 per cent compatible.  Another reason is that the modem
settings may be incompatible.  This is particularly common if error
corrections are used, but you did not have error correction.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)