[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PS/2 formatting woes

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/17/90)

I have used several pc's over the years and have never had a problem to
this extent before...however

since we have set up this pc lab of 30 PS/2 70s and 2 80s (about 1 year)
I have had 15 out of 50 diskettes go bad; the DSHD 3.5", of numerous
brands.

Suddenly, the diskette can't be read.  Norton utilites NU disk map
shows no errors.  One time norton DT said it was reading from
the 2nd FAT table?  I can't even re-format them with the DOS format
command for the most part.  A couple I formated ad 720k.

Has anyone experienced problems with diskette drives on the PS/2's.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies   INET  pcb@gator.cacs.sl.edu     |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana   ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb     |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

gray@toffee.it.udel.edu (Scott Gray) (02/17/90)

Yes, I have had the same trouble with my 3.5" DSHD disks on my PS/2 30-286.
After using the disks for a while the disks suddenly stop working, and when I
try to reformat them I get a "Track 0 bad - disk unusable" or somethine along
those lines.

I have heard rumor that IBM's 3.5 drives have been having this problem ever
since they were introduced, but I don't have anything to substantiate that
claim.

Also, I am usually very good with my disks, keep them away from dust, heat,
excessive cold, magnets, phones, etc. so I don't think that the problem
is happening because I mistreat them.

If anyone hears anything about this problem please post the info.

------------------------ Scott Gray ------------------------------

CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) (02/17/90)

If you are trying to mix 720K disks and 1.44meg drives (or vice versa), then
that is your problem.  The two mediums are incompatible.

-------
Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117@psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h@psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/19/90)

In article <11361@nigel.udel.EDU> gray@freezer.it.udel.edu (Scott Gray) writes:
>Yes, I have had the same trouble with my 3.5" DSHD disks on my PS/2 30-286.
>
>I have heard rumor that IBM's 3.5 drives have been having this problem ever
>since they were introduced, but I don't have anything to substantiate that
>claim.

    According to Central Point Software,  makers of the deluxe option board
pc disk controller, disk copy card & software.  IBM has used about a 50-50
mix of 2 manufacturers of 3.5 disk drives.  The mix crosses over the 720k-1.4M
boundry (same for both densities).  As I recall the 2 manufacturers were
ALP & Tosh.  One of these, probably the ALP has been a problem for IBM since
it was first placed in the field.  IBM has quietly been replacing these this
the other type for cronic complainers.  The down side, the 'pulls' have been
used for repairs of the unsuspecting.  Reports of this also has been in small
print in several of the computer mags, (not all public distribution).
     For some reason, several reports have the SONY disks causing more problems
with the bad drive, but it isn't clear why.  A internal memo suggests that
removing the disk during a ac power change (turning it on or off), is a first
step (as the drive can splat a write even if write protected during a power
change) and not using any ram disks or disk caches is a second (but what a
hard disk cache has to do with a floppy is a mystery yet unexplained...).

al

RMC@psuvm.psu.edu (Ron Crandall) (02/22/90)

In article <3980@rouge.usl.edu>, pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) says:

>since we have set up this pc lab of 30 PS/2 70s and 2 80s (about 1 year)
>I have had 15 out of 50 diskettes go bad; the DSHD 3.5", of numerous
>brands.

There was a problem with with DOS 3.3 (maybe 4.0, too - don't know) and
the PS/2 ROM BIOS that caused problems and occasional physical damage to
3.5" diskettes. IBM "solved" this by releasing a device driver called
DASDDRVR.SYS, which corrected this and other problems such as the clock
losing time. It was eventually included on the reference diskette of
PS/2's with a "READ THIS FIRST" sheet headed "Update Programs." IBM
also included an install utility on the reference disk.

I would check to make sure all the PS/2's in question were installed
with the line DEVICE=\DASDDRVR.SYS in their CONFIG.SYS files, and that
device driver is actually present.
-------
Just Because I'm Paranoid            Ron Crandall
Doesn't Mean the World's             PSU Office of Telecommunications
Really Not Against Me...             RMC@PSUVM.PSU.EDU    (Internet)
                                     RMC@PSUVM.bitnet     (Bitnet)