[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BAUDOT => ASCII Conversion

billybob@bmers58.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (02/20/90)

Does anybody know of a program, either PD or commercial, which will read
BAUDOT input from a serial port and convert it to ASCII, to output on
another serial port?

If not, does anybody know of a board that will do this?  This would be
very helpful for allowing me to send data to a commercial ASCII printer,
instead of an EX$PEN$IVE BAUDOT teletype printer.

Thanx in advance ....

--
"And now GROO does what GROO does best!"

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/21/90)

|Does anybody know of a program, either PD or commercial, which will read
|BAUDOT input from a serial port and convert it to ASCII, to output on
|another serial port?
|
|If not, does anybody know of a board that will do this?  This would be
|very helpful for allowing me to send data to a commercial ASCII printer,
|instead of an EX$PEN$IVE BAUDOT teletype printer.

Bill,

The Baudot code is very simple, only 5 bits per character with a
shifted set to give a total of 64 symbols. UARTs can be programmed to
accept 5 bit characters though you may in some cases need to make
special hardware arrangements for the low baud rates. A simple
table-driven routine that remembers the shift state will do what you
want. For the Baudot code set, see a ref book like McNamara's
Technical Aspects of Data Comm.

  At typical baudot data rates you can probably write the program in
BASIC and still have it work. Just init the ports, loop reading the
input until data available, read the port and store to the output.
Assuming that the printer is faster than the data coming in you don't
even need to check for ready on the output port, and certainly don't
need int4rrupts or something like that.

  This can be done with about ten lines of slop programming, assuming
that you have the baudot to ASCII conversion table handy (I don't).
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (Barry Ornitz) (02/22/90)

In article <1500@bmers58.UUCP> billybob@bnr-public.UUCP () writes:
>Does anybody know of a program, either PD or commercial, which will read
>BAUDOT input from a serial port and convert it to ASCII, to output on
>another serial port?
>
>If not, does anybody know of a board that will do this?  This would be
>very helpful for allowing me to send data to a commercial ASCII printer,
>instead of an EX$PEN$IVE BAUDOT teletype printer.
At one time, National Semiconductor had a ROM chip that would take parallel
Murray (Baudot) code and convert it to ASCII or vice-versa.  I do not think
it is still available however.

Your need is a common one for ham radio operators who still use Baudot and
ASCII both.  In fact, TTY for the blind is almost identical to the older
systems of RTTY used by hams.

At one time, the American Radio Relay League of Newington, CT published a
design for a teletype "stunt-box" that would take any speed of Murray
commonly used (and there are many) and convert it to 300 baud ASCII.  This was
published in their _QST_ magazine for amateur radio operators.

Several BBS systems specializing in software for the deaf also have software
like this.  You might ask on the misc.handicapped newsgroup.  Good luck.

 -----------------
 -----------------

srt@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Scott Turner) (02/22/90)

In article <2363@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (Barry Ornitz) writes:
>In article <1500@bmers58.UUCP> billybob@bnr-public.UUCP () writes:
>>Does anybody know of a program, either PD or commercial, which will read
>>BAUDOT input from a serial port and convert it to ASCII, to output on
>>another serial port?

Waiting for Baudot?

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science     "Understanding 'em is Knowing how to Break 'em"
    Domain: srt@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt