[comp.sys.ibm.pc] window386 in dos4.0 ???

wchung@lagrange.eedsp.gatech.edu (Wilson Chung) (02/15/90)

Wilson Chung
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250
Georgia Tech, PO Box 35285, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250
USENET: ...!{allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ulysses}!gatech!gt-eedsp!$me
INTERNET: wchung@eedsp.gatech.edu

Greeting:
	Is it true that you can not run window386 version 2.? in
with dos4.0. In the manual it said msdos3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.  It did
not say any thing about dos3.3 and higher.
	I was running win86.com instead of win386.exe simply because
in my dos4.0, win386.exe simply doesn't work and it says unsupported
dos version, right!!!  However, running win86.com, you cannot run
any bat, exe, com or any foreign applications.
	Do I have to boot up with a drive with a dos3.3?  However,
in the IBM dos3.3, if you boot up in a drive, because of the c drvie
partition way installed in dos4.0, it will not recognize a c drive.
Is it true that the msdos and compaq dos will allowed you to do so.

PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE ANSWER THE QUESTION FAST.

IT WILL BE NICE IF MICROSOFT PEOPLE CAN HELP OUT.

   _  /|
   \'o.O'      wchung@eedsp.gatech.edu (Wilson C. Chung)
   =(___)=
  Ack! Phht!

YOUR ANSWERS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (02/16/90)

In <754@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu> wchung@eedsp.gatech.edu (W. Chung) writes:
>	Is it true that you can not run window386 version 2.? in
>with dos4.0. In the manual it said msdos3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.  It did
>not say any thing about dos3.3 and higher.

Windows 386, Version 2.03 and 2.10 don't work with DOS 4.01, but
Version 2.11 does. I am working with Win386 / 2.11 under DOS 4.01
on a IBM PS/2 Mod. 55-X61 and with some exceptions, it works okay.
There are some problems with Win386, but they are not new to this
version (slow spooler, problems with sio-line in speed etc.)

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
West-Germany
email: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/19/90)

In article <1779@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) writes:
>In <754@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu> wchung@eedsp.gatech.edu (W. Chung) writes:
>>	Is it true that you can not run window386 version 2.? in
>>with dos4.0.
>Windows 386, Version 2.03 and 2.10 don't work with DOS 4.01, but
>Version 2.11 does.

Well I have Windows 386 version 2.11 and DOS 4.01, and whenever I try to run
a DOS application Windows insists on reading drive A: so that I must always
have a floppy inserted.  This is a bad problem which didn't occur with DOS 3.3
(I upgraded -- a mistake?) nor does it occur with my copy of Windows 286
version 2.11.

Anybody know what's happening?

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (02/20/90)

In article <6889@tekgvs> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes
>Well I have Windows 386 version 2.11 and DOS 4.01, and whenever I try to run
>a DOS application Windows insists on reading drive A: so that I must always
>have a floppy inserted.  This is a bad problem which didn't occur with DOS 3.3
>(I upgraded -- a mistake?) nor does it occur with my copy of Windows 286
>version 2.11.

I have DOS 4.01 and Win386, Vers. 2.11 installed upon a PS/2, Mod. 55-X61
and it works ok (not fine, because Win386 has some small problems like
very slow spooler etc.). The effect you describe isn't happening at my
machine. Perhaps it's an installation problem ? Look too at your
pif-files for the dos programs and the path, through which you are
accessing the standard progs. Another possibilty is win.ini, where
some entry, which point to the floppy disk, can cause problems.

Beside that, I work alternatively with Win286, Vers. 2.11, because Win386
has the problem of slow spooling (Microsoft told me, it'll be not enough
memory free, but I have no TSR's other than Share, Keyb, and and a Diskcache
loaded. There is a big difference in free memory under windows, if you
are using the BGA-adapter (8514A) and DOS 4.01. A similar installation
with VGA and DOS 3.3 has about 100K more room in conventional memory !

There is another problem with windows: it doesn't work with most of
the drivers supplied from IBM: Diskcache, XMAEM, XMA2EMS and so on
(This is also true for Win286 !). The reason: Microssoft accesses
extended memory in an other way IBM does.

Perhaps one of this hints helps.

scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) (02/22/90)

In article <6889@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
> In article <1779@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) writes:
> >In <754@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu> wchung@eedsp.gatech.edu (W. Chung) writes:
> >>	Is it true that you can not run window386 version 2.? in
> >>with dos4.0.
> >Windows 386, Version 2.03 and 2.10 don't work with DOS 4.01, but
> >Version 2.11 does.
>
> Well I have Windows 386 version 2.11 and DOS 4.01, and whenever I try to run
> a DOS application Windows insists on reading drive A: so that I must always
> have a floppy inserted.  This is a bad problem which didn't occur with DOS 3.3
> (I upgraded -- a mistake?) nor does it occur with my copy of Windows 286
> version 2.11.
>
> Anybody know what's happening?

Well, it seems the problem lies in Windows deciding where COMMAND.COM is
on init.  One possible fix is to edit the COMMANDE.PIF, COMMANDF.PIF and
COMMANDW.PIF and change the entry for "Initial Directory:" from blank
to "C:\" or whatever is appropriate.  Also, if you continue to have
the problem with a DOS app, edit (or create) a PIF file for it and be
sure to completely specify its path in the "Initial Directory:" box.

I know this fixes the problem (I think its does), but I couldn't tell
you exactly what is going on.

| Scott Shaffer    |  Compaq Computer Corporation @ Houston TX             |
| Systems Engr     | (These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my|
|		   |  employer, friends or any living person.)		   |