[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keyboard Failure

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (02/22/90)

My clone died Monday with a "keyboard failure" message from the BIOS
prior to the memory check before booting.  This is an XT 4.77/10 MHz
(unamed) clone that I stuck a V20 in.  It is the second time that a
clone like this one has croaked with the same symptoms.  The first
time I bought a new motherboard and everything was fine.  I'd like to
fix both of these guys.  Anybody seen this failure mode before??  Any
ideas where to look??
The keyboard has 5 lines going to it.  There is +5v and ground (yes, the
5v seems to be there!).  There is an (output) from the motherboard --
a 7407 that seems to be logic 1 (5v) all the time, and an input that
goes to a shift register (LS322) that probably does serial in/parallel
out to the 8255.  The last line looks like it goes from? (looks like an
output) an 8-bit buffer (LS244) to the keyboard -- perhaps some hand-
shake??  Not having a schematic or knowing what a live P.C. looks like
makes this difficult.
I know, I know....I should just go out and buy a Mylex 386 @:^), but this
bugs me!  Any help out there???

              roger                 rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (02/23/90)

In article <2759@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>My clone died Monday with a "keyboard failure" message from the BIOS
>prior to the memory check before booting.  This is an XT 4.77/10 MHz
<deleted>
>I know, I know....I should just go out and buy a Mylex 386 @:^), but this
>bugs me!  Any help out there???

  Don't bother, even the Mylex 386 (in my case Packard Bell Force 286)
  can have the same problems.  Twice it has died with "keyboard Failure
  -- Keyboard Data Line Failure" errors just before memory check.

  Unfortunately, in my case, even though the PB was still under
  warranty, the technical response/warranty response from PB was so
  TERRIBLE that I am (luckily) getting my money back from where I bought
  it and have already picked up a competitor's unit (ALR).

  At least in my case, the only fix is to replace the motherboard.
  Good Luck!

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)