[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting 720k on 1.44M drive

jhunt@omews3.intel.com (Jim Hunt) (02/23/90)

I am having problems formatting 720k media on my new 1.44M drive.
I give the command:

format b: /n:9 /t:80

The error message back says something like "Invalid media or Track 0
bad - disk unusable".  This looks like the drive thinks it is formatting
1.44M media instead of 720k media.  I have an AT clone machine, it is
set up for a 360k drive A:, 1.44M drive B:, and I'm running DOS 3.30.
Anyone have any ideas what my problem is?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

+---------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|____________________            __           | Jim Hunt                      |
|\______NCC_1701_____|) .____.--"--"---._____ | Intel Corporation, JF1-58     |
|             \\       -----._________.----/  | 5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy       |
|     /========\\=====/ /       "--"          | Hillsboro, OR  97124          |
|     \==\_____________|-(                    | (503) 696-4781                |
|                                             | jhunt@mipon3.intel.com        |
+---------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/23/90)

In article <5541@omepd.UUCP> jhunt@omews3.intel.com (Jim Hunt) writes:
>I am having problems formatting 720k media on my new 1.44M drive.
>I give the command:
>
>format b: /n:9 /t:80
>
>The error message back says something like "Invalid media or Track 0
>bad - disk unusable".  This looks like the drive thinks it is formatting
>1.44M media instead of 720k media.  I have an AT clone machine, it is

I believe that the 1.44 mb drives have to switch a few things internally
when going between DD and HD media.  The hole in the corner of the
diskette is how it knows what media is inserted.  However, there is a
jumper (at least there is on my Toshiba drive) that determines whether
the media detection is enabled or not.  I would guess that in your case
the drive is permanently set for HD, and is not properly detecting a DD
diskette.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching