[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Memory upgrade upto 3 Meg for Packard-Bell 286

rajkumar@plains.UUCP (A. Joseph Rajkumar) (02/23/90)

Hi
  I would like to know if any body has done a memory upgrade
for a Packard-Bell 286 machine. We have one with 1 Meg of RAM
and would like to upgrade it to about 3 or 4 Meg.
  If you have done it, please let me know your experiences, and
places where you got the RAM chips and how they compare with
RAM prices elsewhere.

Joseph Rajkumar

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (02/24/90)

In article <3549@plains.UUCP> rajkumar@plains.UUCP (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:
>Hi
>  I would like to know if any body has done a memory upgrade
>for a Packard-Bell 286 machine. We have one with 1 Meg of RAM
>and would like to upgrade it to about 3 or 4 Meg.
>  If you have done it, please let me know your experiences, and
>places where you got the RAM chips and how they compare with
>RAM prices elsewhere.

  My experience with Packard Bell is that they suck donkey turds!
  But, hey, I only feel that way because I own (soon to not own) one
  of their Force 286's.  Their tech support is the pits and you could
  grow old and die before they respond, not to mention they screwed
  up on the design of their motherboard, especially the PS/2 mouse port.
  Oh.  And their manuals read like they have been run through a
  Korean-to-Jive translator.

  Ahh.  Yes, I have done a memory upgrade.  The Force 286 types use
  simm slots (4) so you go out and buy 4 1x9 1Meg simms (at about 90$
  to $100 current prices) and replace the 4 existing 256K simms.  Viola
  -- 4 Megabytes.  They PackMate style machines have a max of 3 Meg (I
  believe) but don't use simms (or sipps) and you have to play with the
  raw chips.  My brother-in-law has one.  Poor guy.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)