[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Overlays on Novell networks

nts0699@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus) (02/22/90)

I'm in need of some help with MSC programs, which are linked with
overlays running on a Novell network.

I'm the developer of a program which uses overlays, currently linked
with Microsoft's Linker, version 3.60, as distributed with MSC 5.1.
In order to find it's overlays, the Microsoft overlay loader requires
that the .EXE file be located in the PATH. So far, so good on a pure
MS-DOS system.

On a Novell network, when the public drives/directories are mapped
into Novell logical drives, they do not necessarily appear in the
DOS PATH. In many cases, when this program is loaded to a Novell
mapped, public drive, we get the 'Place disk containing KYSS.EXE in
drive F: ...', where F: is the Novell mapped drive where the .EXE file
exists.

The interesting thing here is that the loader, by way of its message,
knows where the mapped image of the .EXE file is, (drive F:), but still
fails.

Questions:
   1. Does anyone know of a suitable fix for the M'Soft linker/loader
   when running from a Novell public mapped drive? Does a later version
   of the M'Soft linker support this environment better?

   2. What about other overlay linkers such as .RTLink or Plink86? Do
   these produce/manage overlays in a more logical fashion in both the
   DOS and Novell environments? Can I get some experienced opinions on
   these alternate linkers...flexibility, program size, source code
   transparency of the overlay process, etc.?

Thanx a ton...

Gene
-----

Gene McManus @ DLA Systems Automation Center, DSAC-X
               Columbus, OH 43215 (614) 238-9403,    Autovon 850-
Internet:      gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil  (131.78.1.1)
UUCP:          {uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!gmcmanus
<<"Dibi bili ve prdele ribi, ne musi vedt na rybnik!" - The Bad Czech>>
The views expressed are my own, not those of the Agency, or Dept. of Defense

gary@utgard.uucp (Gary Manning) (02/24/90)

In article <1688@dsac.dla.mil> nts0699@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus) writes:

>I'm in need of some help with MSC programs, which are linked with
>overlays running on a Novell network.
>
>I'm the developer of a program which uses overlays, currently linked
>with Microsoft's Linker, version 3.60, as distributed with MSC 5.1.
>In order to find it's overlays, the Microsoft overlay loader requires
>that the .EXE file be located in the PATH. So far, so good on a pure
>MSDOS system.
>
>On a Novell network, when the public drives/directories are mapped
>into Novell logical drives, they do not necessarily appear in the
>DOS PATH. In many cases, when this program is loaded to a Novell
>mapped, public drive, we get the 'Place disk containing KYSS.EXE in
>drive F: ...', where F: is the Novell mapped drive where the .EXE file
>exists.

You can include a directory on a NetWare drive in your search path by
issueing:

      MAP Sx:=\path1\path2
      where x is a number 1  n (I do not know what the max is but
				 currently I have 10 search paths).

We are currently using overlays (PLINK) in our application and have
had no problem with either MS Link or PLink.  The program files all
go into a "bin" directory which is in the users search path.  The
programs can be run from any directory with no overlay problems.

>Questions:
>
>   2. What about other overlay linkers such as .RTLink or Plink86? Do
>   these produce/manage overlays in a more logical fashion in both the
>   DOS and Novell environments? Can I get some experienced opinions on
>   these alternate linkers...flexibility, program size, source code
>   transparency of the overlay process, etc.?

As stated before we use Plink.  It supports calls through function
pointers which the MS linker does not (something we needed).  It gives
you a great deal of flexibility in creating your overlay "map".

It's great!

| Gary Manning  QMA Inc.               |"A mind is a terrible thing!"         |
| csusac!utgard!pyrgard!gary           |All comments are mine...Blah Blah Blah|