[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to use an Imagewriter I with an IBM?

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (02/23/90)

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of cable I need to hook the IBM to the
Apple Imagewriter I? Do I need a special serial driver? Any help appreciated.

--Thom Gillespie

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/24/90)

In article <34446@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
> Does anyone have an idea of what kind of cable I need to hook the IBM to the
> Apple Imagewriter I? Do I need a special serial driver? Any help appreciated.

You will need a 25 pin serial cable to plug into the ImageWriter 1.  You may
use COM1 or COM2, but not the parallel port.  Use the "mode" command to
redirect LPT to your COM port, then do a second "mode" to set the baud
rate and stop bits.

The only problem that I have encountered in using an ImageWriter II with my
PC clone is that the character sets do not match.  The characters from 32
(space) up to 127 are fine...but the PC character set uses some characters
below 32 that the ImageWriter will treat as control codes.  Also, the
ImageWriter ignores the high bit, so the PC graphics characters will be
mapped to ascii values less than 128.

The ImageWriter II supports font downloading and a large number of "escape"
commands.  Although I am not sure, the ImageWriter I may also support
such features.  Many PC programs allow you to configure printer drivers.
By supplying the proper escape codes, you may be able to get italics,
bold, and underlining to work.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john