[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OPTIMA 1024A+ VGA card

jt19840@tut.fi (Tuomi Jyrki Juhani) (02/24/90)

In article <587.25dc6bd6@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> gary@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:
>I have seen advertised a OPTIMA/1024 PLUS VGA card, 16bit, 512k, for
>135 UK pounds (plus VAT). This seems like an excellent price.
>So where's the catch? I have seen an identical board advertised in BYTE
>by a company called ARA-TECH. The photo is of an identical board to the one
>shown in a UK mag (Micro Computer Mart).
>Has anybody any comments about this particular make? I understand that some
>VGA cards can be slow (?), and that some have better looking FONTS than
>others. I look forward to your replies. (This is my first posting to
>USENET - I hope it gets through!).
>
>Gary Morton   Inmos Ltd, Coed Rhedyn, Newport| EMail(UK)
>---------------------------------------------| gary@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk

I have had an OPTIMA/1024A+ VGA card for about a month and I haven't had
any problems (compatibility or otherwise) with it.  My only real complaint
is that the card is not accompanied with a high resolution driver for
Windows/386 (Windows/286 is supported in both 800x600 and 1024x768 modes).
Hi-res drivers are also included for Lotus, Symphony, Autocad (2.5, R9, R10),
Ventura, GEM (2.2-3.1), and WP5.

Besides VGA, EGA, CGA, MDA, and HGC compatibility, SuperVGA modes are supported
as:
	256kb DRAM	512kb DRAM
	800x600x16c	640x480x256c
			800x600x256c
			1024x768x16c
Additional text modes:
	132x25	132x28	132x44
	80x60
	100x40

The user manual has some printing errors, I can mail you a list of them if
you decide to buy one.

I can't comment on speed as I haven't other VGA cards for comparison.  Fonts
look the same as with other VGA cards I have seen (i.e. nothing special
in them).  A font editor & loader is included with the card, though.

BTW, if you look closely at the ads for OPTIMA card, you can see the text
P/N 8810 REV C (or REV D).  I have seen the same text in many VGA cards
(manufactured by other companies) that look in every way exactly the same.
I have deducted that Tseng Labs has designed this card and several manu-
facturers are using this design (or maybe Tseng Labs even makes the cards).
Some other P/N 8810 cards (earlier revisions) are: Wintech Super VGA/16,
Quadram QuadVGA Spectra, Aydin Controls Patriot VGA/1024, etc.

Note that the OPTIMA/1024A+ VGA actually is P/N 8830 REV A, which is slightly
different (and presumably improved) design than the OPTIMA/1024+ VGA (P/N
8810)

I am speaking as a satisfied customer, and have no other connection with
the company.

Jyrki Tuomi
Internet:  jt19840@tut.fi    UUCP:  ..mcvax!tut!jt19840