[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Drive and VGA questions

zotog@sersun0.essex.ac.uk (Zotos G) (02/22/90)

Hello world,
            As I'm a newcommer in this group please forgive me if any of the
following questions have been asked before.

1) Can a VGA color monitor receive TV pictures, and how ? ( I've got a std VGA
   monitor and a composite signal TV receiver)

2) Can a standard (!) 3.5 drive be substituded with a standard (!) 5 and 1/4
   drive? both have a 34 way connector (but they are different, one is PCB edge
   and the other is a double row pins connector).

If this has been solved before and some one has the answer please e-mail to
zotog@uk.ac.essex.servax0

thanks in advace.

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/24/90)

In article <3219@servax0.essex.ac.uk>, zotog@sersun0.essex.ac.uk (Zotos G) writes:
> Hello world,
>             As I'm a newcommer in this group please forgive me if any of the
> following questions have been asked before.
>
> 1) Can a VGA color monitor receive TV pictures, and how ? ( I've got a std VGA
>    monitor and a composite signal TV receiver)
>
> 2) Can a standard (!) 3.5 drive be substituded with a standard (!) 5 and 1/4
>    drive? both have a 34 way connector (but they are different, one is PCB edge
>    and the other is a double row pins connector).
>

> If this has been solved before and some one has the answer please e-mail to
> zotog@uk.ac.essex.servax0
>
> thanks in advace.

	On your second question concerning 3.5 and 5.25 disk drives:
Yes, the 5.25 and 3.5 drives are pin-by-pin compatible.  They both
sport the shugart pinouts for disk drives.  Thus, wherever you have
a 5.25 drive, you can put in a 3.5 drive.  The only difference between
the two, as you pointed out, is the connector but there is a connector
that converts between the two.

	The only problem though is that your computer's disk drive
interface card may not support the higher densities of 3.5 drives.  Most
do though so that should be of no problem but don't take my word for it.
Check it out first...

Bobby Li