[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Fax as part of modem

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (02/23/90)

  I am looking into getting a 2400 baud internal modem.  While looking
through the Compuer Shopper I saw some advertised that have Fax sending
(though no receiving) capabilities for about $30 more.  The fax is
supposed to be 4800 baud and match the requirements for type III (or G3;
something like that) faxes.  What I am wondering is if this is the
normal standards/requirements for a fax (ie. can I send to other fax
machines)?  Any help would be appreciated.

						Pete

Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,
ppd491@leah.albany.edu               .    not a destination..."
--

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (02/25/90)

In article <2589@leah.Albany.Edu>, ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue)
 wrote:
>I am looking into getting a 2400 baud internal modem.  While looking
>through the Compuer Shopper I saw some advertised that have Fax sending
>(though no receiving) capabilities for about $30 more.  The fax is
>supposed to be 4800 baud and match the requirements for type III (or G3;
>something like that) faxes.  What I am wondering is if this is the
>normal standards/requirements for a fax (ie. can I send to other fax
>machines)?

Yes, Group 3 (or G3) is the standard almost all stand-alone FAX machines
use these days.  However, many of today's FAX machines are also 9600 baud,
so that card will take about double as long to send a FAX to these machines
when compared to a 9600 baud FAX card.  (The 9600 baud FAX machines will
drop down to 4800 baud when talking to that card.)

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl