[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pkzip on Unix

robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8525) (02/13/90)

	Is there a pkzip version for unix?
    Robert Meunier                 Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
    Ingenieur                      1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
    UUCP: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca  Qc, Canada, J3X 1S1

bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) (02/14/90)

In article <579@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:

>	Is there a pkzip version for unix?
>--
>    Robert Meunier                 Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
>    Ingenieur                      1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
>    UUCP: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca  Qc, Canada, J3X 1S1

If you get any source code, would you let me know please.  I've been dying
to get a Unix compatible zipper.

Thanks,

Brian

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (02/14/90)

In article <579@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:
>	Is there a pkzip version for unix?

Yes, on Simtel20.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1538 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) (02/14/90)

ra>From: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8525)
ra>Orga: IREQ, Hydro-Quebec, QC, Canada

ra>        Is there a pkzip version for unix?
ra>--
    I snarfed some C Source code for an UNZIPper from one of the
USENET newsgroups. It may be archived (this was months ago). I haven't
seen a ZIPper, or done more than compile the UNZIPper with Turbo C
and try it on a few archives.

   Given the UNZIP, one could presumably build a companion ZIPper.

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4219  Chain me, beat me, make me code in PASCAL ...

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (02/15/90)

> In article <579@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:
>
> Is there a pkzip version for unix?

included from documewtation:

  UnZip Version 2.0.1, 09-16-89 Zipfile Extract Utility
  Copyright (C) 1989 Samuel H. Smith;  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

  'UnZip' is a small Zipfile extract utility.   It is written to be as
  small and portable as possible -- ideal as a starting point for handling
  .ZIP files in non-IBM environments.
  Source code is provided in C and Turbo Pascal.

  available at The Tool Shop BBS (602) 279-2673 (FREE LINE, USR 2400)
                                 (602) 264-3969 (HST 9600)
                                 (602) 270-0239 (HAYES 9600)

--

  "It's such a fine line between clever..."     < Doug Lucy           DC Pro >
  "...and stupid."                              < uucp:   uunet!tropez!dlucy >

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (02/21/90)

In article <132@tropez.UUCP> dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) writes:
>> In article <579@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:
>> Is there a pkzip version for unix?
>
>  UnZip Version 2.0.1, 09-16-89 Zipfile Extract Utility

O.k. there's an UnZip, but the question still stands: ``Is there a
pkzip version for unix?''.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (02/21/90)

ONE way to use pkzip, depending on the Unix you're using:

Open a DOS shell, and use pkzip! I'm running AIX on an IBM PS/2 Model 70,
and this works fine.

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RAIL/TDD        "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

bakke@plains.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Bakke) (02/21/90)

In article <6209@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU () writes:
>ONE way to use pkzip, depending on the Unix you're using:
>
>Open a DOS shell, and use pkzip! I'm running AIX on an IBM PS/2 Model 70,
>and this works fine.

I think most of the people (including me) are looking for a unix
implementation.  I know it would be nice to zip up the files on the
Sun 4 I use and download them in 3/4 the time.  As it is, I end up
Zooing or Arcing them up and then converting them to zip format on the
PC.

Jeff Bakke
bakke@plains.NoDak.edu

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (02/22/90)

In article <6209@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU () writes:
>ONE way to use pkzip, depending on the Unix you're using:

>Open a DOS shell, and use pkzip! I'm running AIX on an IBM PS/2 Model 70,
>and this works fine.

I'd like to see you try this with AIX on an IBM PC/RT, or 4381 :-)
I guess my point is that it depends on the version of UNIX and the
processor type too.
--

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb20.161410.19195@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>> In article <579@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:
>> Is there a pkzip version for unix?

A related question. Is there any reliable way of moving whole
directory structures between UNIX and DOS?  I've tried combining a DOS
version of tar (got it from the simtel archive) and compress16. This
bombs invariably when I bring a "tar.Z" file from UNIX to DOS. After I
uncompress, the "tar" archive is corrupt.

Are there any other portable archivers with same capability (ARC, ZOO
etc.)?

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb22.031659.18303@agate.berkeley.edu>, ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> Are there any other portable archivers with same capability (ARC, ZOO
> etc.)?

The original ARC (5.12) is available, likewise ZOO.

I also have source somewhere for LHARC which *could* be ported
to other operating systems (but there is some assembler in the
source).

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

In article <511209@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

| The original ARC (5.12) is available, likewise ZOO.

  The UNIX version, at least on sixhub, handles the pkarc compression
(crunching) as well, and does end of line conversion. I just recently
found a bug in the restore routine which caused the date and time not to
be reset, and fixed it.

  This version will be on the archive server in the next few weeks.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (02/27/90)

I have often moved .tar.Z files to my PC and uncompressed them and untarred
them.  The mistake I most often make is to leave off the -i switch, which
stands for image mode, i.e. without it, linefeeds are converted to carriage
return linefeed pairs.  This does indeed result in a corrupt file.

I made the mistake so often that I wrote a small filter to convert CR-LF
pairs to a single LF.

Good luck.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (02/27/90)

In article <511209@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
}I also have source somewhere for LHARC which *could* be ported
}to other operating systems (but there is some assembler in the
}source).

I grabbed a Unix version of LHarc a few weeks ago.  Works just fine under
MACH (BSD 4.3 binary-compatible).

I've put it up for anonymous FTP (since I can't remember where I got it) on
CS.CMU.EDU [128.2.222.173] in /afs/cs/user/ralf/pub (CD directly there) as
lharc-unix-v003.zoo.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask