[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Fun with 386SX BUGS

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/15/90)

I have this serious problem trying to run Windows 386 (version 2.11) with
a certain brand of 386SX board. What I really want to know is if someone
else in netland has run into the same problem and if they found a fix.
I have run into "one" person that has the same problem and he also
cannot find a soulution.

 Scope of the problem:

 386SX Board mfg by DataExpert.
 Has the C&T 286 chip set in the motherboard.
 2meg of memory (on the motherboard).
 WD8003E ethernet card with NFS software.
 AMI 386 Bios dated Aug. 1989.

 When starting up MS windows "win386" program the init sequence crashes.
When it does crash you can see some ascii text on the screen along with
binary trash that says "Microsoft EMSXXX.0 " and then it drops to dos.

 I tried the win86 and it works fine. So does my old 286 version of
windows. But I bought the 386 version so I could take advantage of
the 386 memory management converting expanded memory to ems allowing
windows to use it. I also tried running the software on a real 386
and it works fine. So is thier really a serious bug in Windows 386
that it won't run on boards designed with 386 CT 286 chipsets?
Or maybe it's the AMI Bios?  Something to think about when buying
a 386SX board.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/16/90)

In article <995@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
| When starting up MS windows "win386" program the init sequence crashes.
|When it does crash you can see some ascii text on the screen along with
|binary trash that says "Microsoft EMSXXX.0 " and then it drops to dos.

Funny, I just saw an ad bragging about how compatible their
(not dataexpert) 386 was and how good it ran win386. I dismissed
it as baloney. Perhaps there really is something to it.

Do you have any of your 2 meg as EMS? You shouldn't, I think.

Did you know that MS uses Win286 on 386^Max? I wonder why.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/17/90)

From article <29194@amdcad.AMD.COM>, by phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai):
> In article <995@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
> | When starting up MS windows "win386" program the init sequence crashes.
> |When it does crash you can see some ascii text on the screen along with
> |binary trash that says "Microsoft EMSXXX.0 " and then it drops to dos.
>
> Funny, I just saw an ad bragging about how compatible their
> (not dataexpert) 386 was and how good it ran win386. I dismissed
> it as baloney. Perhaps there really is something to it.

   Remember this is a 386SX. I have ran win386 on a real 386 machine
(Everex Step) and it works fine. The speed was disappointing but
it ran and didn't crash. Reminds me of the old Osborne machine and
bankswitching memory. What a nightmare.

> Do you have any of your 2 meg as EMS? You shouldn't, I think.

   No, it's configured as extended. I tried it both ways. Another strange
thing that bothers me is if you turn the bit to enable 'external ems control'
the system hangs on a cold boot.  But I don't use this anyway.

 ---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400
Work {sun|pyramid|decwrl}!megatest!palowoda (415)-623-8806 2400/9600/19200 TB
Voice: (415)-623-7495                        Public access UNIX XBBS

gt0159a@prism.gatech.EDU (LEVINSON,MARC LOUIS) (02/18/90)

Windows crashing may be due to another problem.  Try running SCAN to
check for a virus.  I have had Jerusalem B attach to Windows on many
machines in the PC Lab where I work and it either locks up the machine or
just refuses to run.  Otherwise, Win386 requires 2mb [?] of ram which
the processor can use for true 386 page code switching.  Good Luck!

-- Marc Levinson

--
LEVINSON,MARC LOUIS
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt0159a

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (02/19/90)

In article <998@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
- When starting up MS windows "win386" program the init sequence crashes.
- When it does crash you can see some ascii text on the screen along with
- binary trash that says "Microsoft EMSXXX.0 " and then it drops to dos.

I'm running a PC Brand 386 SX with 2 Megs memory and a 71 MB HD. I run Xenix386
on it and my kids (sic) run Windows386 2.03 on it all the time. Haven't had
any problems of any kind yet.

Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP
--
Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/19/90)

From article <495@althea.UUCP>, by eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi):
> In article <998@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
> - When starting up MS windows "win386" program the init sequence crashes.
> - When it does crash you can see some ascii text on the screen along with
> - binary trash that says "Microsoft EMSXXX.0 " and then it drops to dos.
>
> I'm running a PC Brand 386 SX with 2 Megs memory and a 71 MB HD. I run Xenix386
> on it and my kids (sic) run Windows386 2.03 on it all the time. Haven't had
> any problems of any kind yet.

   It depends what Chip Set you have. Does your board have a 16bit
Chips and Technology chip set? Note that C&T also make a 32bit
chip set but some manufactures are not useing them.

---Bob

--

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/27/90)

In article <995@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
$ I tried the win86 and it works fine. So does my old 286 version of
$windows. But I bought the 386 version so I could take advantage of
$the 386 memory management converting expanded memory to ems allowing
$windows to use it. I also tried running the software on a real 386

   Expanded memory _is_ EMS!!!!!  If all you want to do is convert
exTENded memory to exPANded, there are _much_ better ways to do it
than to buy Windows!  There are several products available (such as
QEMM.SYS from Quarterdeck, and even recent versions of DOS have a
reportedly poor extended-expanded converter for 386 machines) that
will perform this task for you.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

In article <1000@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
$   It depends what Chip Set you have. Does your board have a 16bit
$Chips and Technology chip set? Note that C&T also make a 32bit
$chip set but some manufactures are not useing them.

   I can't see that anyone would put a 32-bit chipset on a 16-bit (i.e.
386SX) board.