[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 and SX shortage

phil@pepsi.amd.com (02/10/90)

I just heard that there's a shortage of these parts and the price has
been rising. Anyone like to comment on this?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (02/11/90)

In article <29108@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.amd.com () writes:
>I just heard that there's a shortage of these parts and the price has
>been rising. Anyone like to comment on this?

A family friend who is a computer dealer also told me about the shortage just
today.  It seems that Intel/IBM is cutting back production to raise the prices.

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (02/12/90)

In article <21986@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
> In article <29108@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.amd.com () writes:
> >I just heard that there's a shortage of these parts and the price has
> >been rising. Anyone like to comment on this?
>
> A family friend who is a computer dealer also told me about the shortage just
> today.  It seems that Intel/IBM is cutting back production to raise the prices.

umm... is it possible that intel has just been successful int it's
promotion of the 386sx as a replacement for the 286 and now there is a
shortage because so many people are buy 386sx's?

with 486's just coming out, they are becoming the "premium" computer
and the 386's have little hope but to drop in price.  the 286 is going
to have to become _real_ cheap for people to keep buying them over
386sx's.

-wayne

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (02/13/90)

>with 486's just coming out, they are becoming the "premium" computer
>and the 386's have little hope but to drop in price.  the 286 is going
>to have to become _real_ cheap for people to keep buying them over
>386sx's.

I hate to admit to being uninformed, but I've been wondering what is the
difference between the 386 and 486. Can one eventually upgrade a 386 machine
to a 486?

tom

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (02/14/90)

In article <63320008@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

>>with 486's just coming out, they are becoming the "premium" computer
>>and the 386's have little hope but to drop in price.  the 286 is going
>>to have to become _real_ cheap for people to keep buying them over
>>386sx's.
>
>I hate to admit to being uninformed, but I've been wondering what is the
>difference between the 386 and 486. Can one eventually upgrade a 386 machine
>to a 486?
>
>tom

Don't worry, most of us are also, but don't admit it. The 486 runs the same programs
as the 386 and has added 6 instructions, these are:

	Byte swap (BSWAP)	will move the bytes in the operand around from
				little indian to big indian and vice versa
	Exchange-and-Add (XADD) good for multiprocessing operation
	Compare-and-Exchange(CMPXCHG) dittio
	Invalidate Data Cache (INVD)	self evident
	Write-back and Invalidate Data Cache (WBINVD)
	Invalidate TLB Entry (INVLPG)

these instructions add some needed functionality to the 486 for system level
operations.

The 486 has on-chip a 487 processor and 8k of cache memory. RISC type of
technology has been used to reduce the number of cycles needed to executed
one instruction, thus allowing it to have a higher MIPS rating than the
386.

A 486 25Mhz PC, as far as I see in the rates is 10-15 MIPS.

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (02/14/90)

>I hate to admit to being uninformed, but I've been wondering what is the
>difference between the 386 and 486. Can one eventually upgrade a 386 machine
>to a 486?
>tom

A 486 is just a 386 with all the support chips built into the chip.
For example the numeric coprocessor and a memory cache are include in the
chip. As for upgrading, that depends on whether your 386 was designed
for upgrading. There is a major difference in the motherboard design
between the two chips precisely because one has all support chips built in
while the other needs the chips on the motherboard. In theory you could
upgrade regardless but the difficulty increases significantly if the
386 is not specifically designed for upgrading.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/14/90)

In article <63320008@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
$I hate to admit to being uninformed, but I've been wondering what is the
$difference between the 386 and 486. Can one eventually upgrade a 386 machine
$to a 486?

   The 486 incorporates the functions of the 386 and the 387 into one
chip.  To software, it looks pretty much like just a 386 with a 387;
however, the whole thing has been redesigned to be significantly
faster, employing some of the RISC philosophy.  Most common operations
have been trimmed down to one or two clock cycles, so a 33 MHz 486
will be significantly faster than a 33 MHz 386+387 combination (how
much, I don't know ... I'm sure someone else can give benchmark
figures if they're wanted).

   For most 386 machines, the only way to upgrade would be to buy
a 486 plug-in board (I don't think any are available yet, but I
could be wrong, and I'm sure that there will be several before
too long).  Some machines, however, were designed so that the
CPU can be upgraded (ALR, for example, has a 286 that can be
upgraded to a 386SX or a 486).
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (02/15/90)

In referenced article, (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>$I hate to admit to being uninformed, but I've been wondering what is the
>$difference between the 386 and 486. Can one eventually upgrade a 386 machine
>$to a 486?
>
>The 486 incorporates the functions of the 386 and the 387 into one chip.
>......  Most common operations
>have been trimmed down to one or two clock cycles, so a 33 MHz 486
>will be significantly faster than a 33 MHz 386+387 combination

In fact a 25Mhz 486 (the only speed currently available in "production") has
about the same performance as a 33Mhz 386.

The 486 is the first production IC with over 1 Million transistors (I
torched the cover off one a week or two ago, and counted 'em.... - actually
I *did* take the cover off one, its impressive!!)
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmtl.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (02/17/90)

In article <1031@philmtl.philips.ca> ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) writes:
}The 486 is the first production IC with over 1 Million transistors (I

Gee, I always thought that 1 megabit DRAMs had at least 1,048,576
transistors....
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/27/90)

In article <1640057@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
$A 486 is just a 386 with all the support chips built into the chip.

   It's a lot more than just a 386 with the support chips built in.  The
thing was redesigned using RISC philosophy so that most common
instructions execute very quickly, so that a 33 MHz 486 will run a lot
faster than a 33 MHz 386.

$For example the numeric coprocessor and a memory cache are include in the
$chip. As for upgrading, that depends on whether your 386 was designed
$for upgrading. There is a major difference in the motherboard design
[...]

   Yup ... the whole motherboard has to be replaced unless it was
designed for upgrading, and very few machines are designed for upgrading.