[comp.sys.ibm.pc] question about Imagesoft's Glockenspiel Commonview C++ compiler

keshava@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) (02/25/90)

I'm using version 1.2 of Imagesoft's Glockenspiel Commonview C++
compiler on a 386 PC with 4 MB of memory and DOS 4.0 and am having
problems with memory shortage.

The source module is relatively short with a couple hundred lines at
most.  The header files are nested a couple levels and include many of
the standard C and C++ header files in addition to the ones for the
module.

The specific error states that "free store is exhausted".  This occurs
in the cfxx C++ compilation stage, not in the preprocessing stage.

The compiler comes with executables for DOS and for protected mode
(OS/2).  Does the DOS version recognize only 640K of memory, hence the
"free store exhausted error"?  If so, is there a way to run the
protected mode version without having to buy OS/2?  Can the DOS
version be forced to recognize all the available memory?

I've contacted Imagesoft, but the gentleman was unsure of the problem
and is doing some research on it.

Thanks in advance for any information.

                                               Sanjay
                                               ->|<-
                             Student in the UT Graduate School of Business
DARPA: keshava@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            |
CSnet: keshava%ccwf@relay.cs.net             | Greetings to fellow Anteaters,
UUCP:  ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!keshava | Trojans, and Longhorns.

acm@grendal.Sun.COM (Andrew MacRae) (02/27/90)

In article <25065@ut-emx.UUCP> keshava@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) writes:
>I'm using version 1.2 of Imagesoft's Glockenspiel Commonview C++
>compiler on a 386 PC with 4 MB of memory and DOS 4.0 and am having
>problems with memory shortage.
>
>The specific error states that "free store is exhausted".  This occurs
>in the cfxx C++ compilation stage, not in the preprocessing stage.

I ran into the same problem.  You have to obtain an optional program from
Imagesoft (I think called 16m) in order to use memory over 640kb.  Once I
had that program I didn't have any problem with free store being exhusted.

					Andrew MacRae