[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QMS or NEC: laserprinters

tgoldin@amherst.bitnet (02/13/90)

I am considering buying a laser printer.  Has anyone had experience with either
the QMS PS-820 or the NEC LC-890?  I am looking for info as to reliability,
speed, print quality, etc.  Any help along these lines would be much
appreciated.

clay@uci.mn.org (Clayton Haapala) (02/20/90)

In article <9111.25d70533@amherst.bitnet> tgoldin@amherst.bitnet writes:
>I am considering buying a laser printer.  Has anyone had experience with either
>the QMS PS-820 or the NEC LC-890?  I am looking for info as to reliability,
>speed, print quality, etc.  Any help along these lines would be much
>appreciated.

We are (ab)using a NEC LC-890 here at UCI for Postscript work.  We run a
phenomenal number of documents through it.  (We're in the 50K+ range.)  We
have had some problems with the printer on a Novell network, and had to contact
Novell support.   The answer back (purportedly from NEC), was that the printer
was not meant for network use.  Oh well, eh?

We run in with the parallel port and with Appletalk.  The RS232 port has proved
unreliable, as the printer didn't handshake correctly (would go off-line
permanently).  Other subsitute NEC printers we have gotten while this NEC was
sick had problems, too, like not being consistent on the length of parallel
cable we could run.

The following problem may be typical of all postscript printers:  when sent
arbitrary non-postscript text (like a banner page),  the printer will go
"on-line processing" for a long time, then flicker OFF to ON, then eventually
silently die and refuse to process any print jobs.

The print quality is better than our HP LaserJet, but then, for $3000 more bucks
I would HOPE so.

Our NEC has also demonstrated that it is quite sensitive to low humidity and
direct sunlight.  It is also a drag to clean.
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!bungia!uci!clay (clay@uci.uci.com)
Unified Communications Inc.    "We have ways of making you scream."

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (02/27/90)

In article <9111.25d70533@amherst.bitnet> tgoldin@amherst.bitnet writes:
>I am considering buying a laser printer.  Has anyone had experience with either
>the QMS PS-820 or the NEC LC-890?  I am looking for info as to reliability,
>speed, print quality, etc.  Any help along these lines would be much
>appreciated.

We use a QMS PS-810.  It's similar to the 820 but uses a slower
processor.  It's been very reliable, print quality is good, it's
reasonably fast, and customer service is outstanding.  There was a
problem with one of the ROMs on the PostScript board after a couple of
months, but QMS technical support people were very helpful and the
problem was fixed promptly.
--
Mark Alexander	(amdahl!drivax!alexande)