[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TV to VGA

zotog@sersun0.essex.ac.uk (Zotos G) (02/25/90)

Hello world,
		Does any body out there knows the following:

1) Can a VGA color monitor receive TV pictures, and how ? ( I've got a std VGA
   monitor and a composite signal TV receiver)

2) Can a standard (!) 3.5 drive be substituded with a standard (!) 5 and 1/4
   drive? both have a 34 way connector (but they are different, one is PCB edge
   and the other is a double row pins connector).

thanks in advace.

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/27/90)

In article <3237@servax0.essex.ac.uk>, zotog@sersun0.essex.ac.uk (Zotos G) writes:
> Hello world,
> 		Does any body out there knows the following:
>
> 1) Can a VGA color monitor receive TV pictures, and how ? ( I've got a std VGA
>    monitor and a composite signal TV receiver)
>
> 2) Can a standard (!) 3.5 drive be substituded with a standard (!) 5 and 1/4
>    drive? both have a 34 way connector (but they are different, one is PCB edge
>    and the other is a double row pins connector).
>
> thanks in advace.

	To answer your second question, yes a standard 3.5 disk drive can
be substituted for a 5.25 as long as your drive interface supports the
higher densities of 3.5 drives.  Techinically, the pinouts for both drives
are exactly the same except for the connector.  To solve the connector
problem, you can purchase an adapter for it to make it just like the 5.25
connectors (this is what most 3.5 drives give you when you buy one).

Hope this helps!
Bobby Li

P.S.  As for your second question, I have never seen such a device that
would allow you to use your monitor as a TV.  I think it would be cheaper
to buy a TV...

BITNET:  TT3X@CRNLVAX5			INTERNET:  TT3X@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
INTERNET:  LI#BOBBY%MFE.MFENET@ANLVM.CTD.ANL.GOV