[comp.sys.ibm.pc] lharc on Unix

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russ Herman) (02/27/90)

In article <8176@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) writes:

>I grabbed a Unix version of LHarc a few weeks ago.  Works just fine under
>MACH (BSD 4.3 binary-compatible).
>
>I've put it up for anonymous FTP (since I can't remember where I got it) on
>CS.CMU.EDU [128.2.222.173] in /afs/cs/user/ralf/pub (CD directly there) as
>lharc-unix-v003.zoo.

Unfortunately, that version is a bit out-of-date vis-a-vis the MSDOS version.
It doesn't handle the -r and -p toggles.  Worse, it uses -p for something
else (list to stdout).  So it's still true that zoo is the only archiver
with source available that handles directory hierarchies semi-reasonably.

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh

kchen@alcor.usc.edu (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.225446.20246@me.toronto.edu> rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russ Herman) writes:
>In article <8176@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) writes:
>>
>>I grabbed a Unix version of LHarc a few weeks ago.  Works just fine under
>>MACH (BSD 4.3 binary-compatible).
>>
>>I've put it up for anonymous FTP (since I can't remember where I got it) on
>>CS.CMU.EDU [128.2.222.173] in /afs/cs/user/ralf/pub (CD directly there) as
>>lharc-unix-v003.zoo.
>
>Unfortunately, that version is a bit out-of-date vis-a-vis the MSDOS version.
>It doesn't handle the -r and -p toggles.  Worse, it uses -p for something
>else (list to stdout).  So it's still true that zoo is the only archiver
>with source available that handles directory hierarchies semi-reasonably.

This is not true.
I just download it and compile and test-run it.

Please try 'lharc a filename */*'
           'lharc a filename */*/*'
             ...             */*/*/*... add as many levels as you wish.

You will find out it works as beautiful as 'ZOO' and the compressed file posses
1/3 less space than 'ZOO' scheme.