[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HOME BREWED PC

mcneill@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (William Mcneill) (02/22/90)

I'm thinking of rolling my own 33Mhz 386 or 486 box. Where can a
person get honest motherboard performance ratings? Is there anyone who
could share any experiences with home building PCs.
Thanks

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (02/24/90)

>I'm thinking of rolling my own 33Mhz 386 or 486 box. Where can a
>person get honest motherboard performance ratings? Is there anyone who
>could share any experiences with home building PCs.

My dad and I put a 20 Mhz Jameco 386 motherboard into an XT clone box.  The
165 watt XT power supply works as did all of the old cards, except the
hard disk controller.  We had a noname serial/parallel port car, an ATI EGA
Wonder, and an Omnitel internal 2400 baud modem.  All work fine.  We put in
a Western Digital 10006 VSR2(1:1 interleave RLL hard/floppy controller).  Jameco
just released a 33 Mhz 386 board with a 32K static cache for $1200 with 0K
memory.  I highly recommned the WD controller also.  I would buy as many parts
as possible from the same place. Jameco has good prices on power supplies,
motherboards, and the serial/parallel cards.  Memory, video card, monitors,
and hard disks can be found elsewhere for much better prices.
                                       Brent H. Besler

cschenk@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Cliff Schenk) (02/27/90)

mcneill@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (William Mcneill) writes:

>I'm thinking of rolling my own 33Mhz 386 or 486 box. Where can a
>person get honest motherboard performance ratings? Is there anyone who
>could share any experiences with home building PCs.
>Thanks

MIPS magazine, Sept 1989 Vol 1 #9, compared the Mylex MX386-33, Micronics
386/33, Micronics 386/25, and the AMI Mark II motherboards.  They ran
Dhrystone 2, Whetstones, Linpack, and Livermore Loops under Unix, OS/2, DOS/x.
In addition they ran workloads with four types of applications; software
development, engineering/scientific, finacial, and publishing on the same
three OS environments.

There conclusions -- under DOS extenders no single board stood out,
hence choose the least expensive board -- Micronics.  Under Xenix the
Micronics board came in at slightly slower speeds on the AIM tests,
however it was concluded that the price difference overshadowed the
nominal performance difference.  The Micronics board was slightly
faster on tests they ran under OS/2.  The Mylex board offered the
greatest number of user-configurable options through jumpers and PALS.

BTW has anyone had any experiences with the MPT 386/33 MHZ mother board
made by SOYO.  I called a local computer dealer who is offering a 386/33
MHZ configuration identical to the Gateway 2000 for about $350 less.
However, it probably isn't worth it if I can't find reassuring
information on the speed and reliability of this motherboard.

Cliff
Clifford K. Schenk 				MILNET cschenk@dev.dtic.dla.mil
Control Data Corporation 			UUCP   ..!uunet!dev!cschenk