[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Pinouts for floppy drive wanted

alun@neabbs.UUCP (ALUN SAUNDERS) (02/24/90)

Can anyone out there help me with the description of the signals on
the 34 pin connector coming out of a standard 5.25" 1.2M floppy drive
?  I'm having problems with a drive telling me its not ready, and
would like to have a look at the ready line whatever it is to make
sure that its the drive and not the controller thats at fault.

Thanks in advance

Alun Saunders

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/27/90)

In article <312963@neabbs.UUCP>, alun@neabbs.UUCP (ALUN SAUNDERS) writes:
> Can anyone out there help me with the description of the signals on
> the 34 pin connector coming out of a standard 5.25" 1.2M floppy drive
> ?  I'm having problems with a drive telling me its not ready, and
> would like to have a look at the ready line whatever it is to make
> sure that its the drive and not the controller thats at fault.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alun Saunders

	The ready/disk change line is pin 34 on your disk drive.  Depending
on whether you have an AT or XT, the purpose of this pin should change.
Usually, ATs use this pin as disk change and XTs use this pin as ready.

Hope this helps!
Bobby Li
BITNET:  TT3X@CRNLVAX5			INTERNET:  TT3X@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
INTERNET:  LI#BOBBY%MFE.MFENET@ANLVM.CTD.ANL.GOV

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/28/90)

In article <3523.25e9bf4a@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
<In article <312963@neabbs.UUCP>, alun@neabbs.UUCP (ALUN SAUNDERS) writes:
<> Can anyone out there help me with the description of the signals on
<> the 34 pin connector coming out of a standard 5.25" 1.2M floppy drive?
<> I'm having problems with a drive telling me its not ready...
<>
<	The ready/disk change line is pin 34 on your disk drive.  Depending
<on whether you have an AT or XT, the purpose of this pin should change.
<Usually, ATs use this pin as disk change and XTs use this pin as ready.
<
<Hope this helps!

It probably would have helped to add "you can probably solve the problem
by somehow disconnecting pin 34 on your 360k drive.  'Somehow' includes
cutting the wire out of the cable (ouch) or putting a piece of Scotch Brand
Magic Mending Tape* (or suitable alternative) over the edge connector at
location 34 (just wrap it around to the back side: you'll just be covering
up one of the umpteen ground lines, anyway)."

kEITHe

* trademark by 3M, I bet...