[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CompuAdd hard drive with DELL ESDI controller?

granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (02/27/90)

I have a user who wants to replace the DELL 90MB ESDI drive in his
DELL sys 310 with a 320MB drive from CompuAdd.  I cautioned him that
I thought I had heard about problems putting non-DELL ESDI drives
in machines with the DELL ESDI controller.  I would appreciate hearing
from people that have tried using 3rd party ESDI hard drives with
the DELL ESDI controller.

ThanksE6.

-Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski) (02/27/90)

In article <50.25e98f40@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu>,
granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
> I have a user who wants to replace the DELL 90MB ESDI drive in his
> DELL sys 310 with a 320MB drive from CompuAdd.  I cautioned him that
> I thought I had heard about problems putting non-DELL ESDI drives
> in machines with the DELL ESDI controller.  I would appreciate hearing
> from people that have tried using 3rd party ESDI hard drives with
> the DELL ESDI controller.
>
> ThanksE6.
>
> -Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

The only thing to watch out for is the WD1007A controller won't work with some
of the newer drives, basically any 15ms drive won't work.  The WD1007V won't
have any problem with any ESDI drive.

John Steczkowski
Dell Unix Customer Support  P#: (512) 343-3571
9505 Arboretum Blvd.	    !s: uunet!dell!hotwheel!stecz
Austin, Texas 78759	    @s: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com

In article <50.25e98f40@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu> granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
| I have a user who wants to replace the DELL 90MB ESDI drive in his
| DELL sys 310 with a 320MB drive from CompuAdd.  I cautioned him that
| I thought I had heard about problems putting non-DELL ESDI drives
| in machines with the DELL ESDI controller.  I would appreciate hearing
| from people that have tried using 3rd party ESDI hard drives with
| the DELL ESDI controller.

  Unless you have some unusual configuration there is no such thing as a
Dell disk controller. All of ours, 310s and 325s, have WD1007s as far as
I know.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon