[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Probable NON-DOS disk message

geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) (05/10/87)

Here's the message I get when I run chkdsk on an AT
compatible with a WDC controller and a Seagate 225
20Mbyte HD:

	Probable non-DOS disk.
	Continue (Y/N)?

Typing either Y or N doesn't seem to do anything. The
chkdsk completes and everything on the system seems
quite normal. Any clues?

Thanks

David Geller                              UUCP: ..!seismo!sundc!eli!geller
Electric Logic, Inc.                     Telex: 6503003778
2025 Eye Street, N.W., Suite 220      MCI Mail: PRESS
Washington, D.C. 20006              Compuserve: 72667,1312

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (05/12/87)

In article <226@eli.UUCP>, geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) writes:
> Here's the message I get when I run chkdsk on an AT
> compatible with a WDC controller and a Seagate 225
> 20Mbyte HD:
>
> 	Probable non-DOS disk.
> 	Continue (Y/N)?
>
> Typing either Y or N doesn't seem to do anything. The
> chkdsk completes and everything on the system seems
> quite normal. Any clues?

I've seen this happen when you have a BUFFERS=nn line in your
CONFIG.SYS file.  Sometimes, an errant application program will
trash the copy of the FAT that is in the RAM buffer, thus causing
the message, eventhough there is nothing wrong with your disk.

Usually, rebooting the system is enough to make the message go
away.  If you still get a nasty message after rebooting, try
booting up from a floppy with no CONFIG.SYS file.  See if you still
get the message.

If all else fails, the boot block of your disk could contain an
error or errors.  The drive's partition table begins at offset 1BE
(DOS 3.1) in the boot record (physical sector 0).  The byte at 1BE
is the boot indicator for partition 0.  Byte 1CE is the boot
indicator for patition 1.  1DE for partition 2. 1EE for partition
3.  A drive can have only one bootable partition.  For the bootable
partition, the byte should be 80H.  For all other partitions, the
byte should be 00.  1C2,1D2,1E2,... are the operating system ID
bytes for the respective partitions.  For this, 00=unknown type,
01=DOS, 12 bit FAT, 04=DOS, 16 bit FAT.  See  page 9-6 to 9-8 of
the IBM DOS 3.1 technical reference manual for further details.

You might consider taking a peek at the boot record with DEBUG or
the Norton Utilities if the message persists.

Hope this is of some use...
  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (02/25/90)

CHKDSK on my D: drive (40 meg Miniscribe partitioned into C:,
D:, E:) says probable non-DOS disk. Continue?  Norton and Mace
find no problems with FAT tables or in any files.  No mixing
of DOS versions on the disk.  I boot up from C:, so no problem.
Should I be worried?

Bruce Waldman, waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu
               !harvard!husc4!waldman2
               bw@harvarda.bitnet

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/26/90)

I have exactly the same problem using Seagate 40 Mb (ST251-1).
Seems to me that it is not because of brand name of HD. It may be
due to MS-DOS itself ????

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (02/26/90)

> CHKDSK on my D: drive (40 meg Miniscribe partitioned into C:,
> D:, E:) says probable non-DOS disk. Continue?  Norton and Mace
> find no problems with FAT tables or in any files.  No mixing
> of DOS versions on the disk.  I boot up from C:, so no problem.
> Should I be worried?

Run the MACE program NONDOS.  Something has fiddled with your FAT, and changed
the drive descriptor attribute.  This tells the world if the drive is a DOS
disk or not.  It should be set to F8.  NONDOS will fix the byte.  You should
be somewhat worried, because something wrote data where it shouldn't have, and
you should locate the culprit.

Eric W. Lund *DISCLAIMER "Disclaimers are for weak people."* Prodigy: xcbr22b
UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund *COWS FOR RENT* ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com ** ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (02/28/90)

> I have exactly the same problem using Seagate 40 Mb (ST251-1).
> Seems to me that it is not because of brand name of HD. It may be
> due to MS-DOS itself ????

No, see my other message.  Something fiddled with your File Allocation Table.
If you have MACE Utilities, run NONDOS to fix it.  If not, get the PAUL MACE
GUIDE TO DATA RECOVERY.  If both options are out, do you have PCTOOLS or
NORTON UTILITIES?  If so, drop me a line and I'll detail the necessary cure.