[comp.sys.ibm.pc] making disk act like memory

tracey@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tracey Butler) (02/23/90)

I've heard that there is a program that will enable you to use
the hard disk as extra memory (not sure whether it is expanded
or extended).

Does anyone know that names of either commercial software or
PD that will accomplish this?

Thanks,
butlert@mcmaster.ca

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/24/90)

In article <25E465B9.20395@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> tracey@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tracey Butler) writes:
>I've heard that there is a program that will enable you to use
>the hard disk as extra memory (not sure whether it is expanded
>or extended).

Above Disc is one.  I seem to remember someone mentioning others.

It has to be expanded since extended is addressed by the chip and is simply
native memory.  The only thing extended about it BTW is that it extends
beyond what IBM thinks is a proper place for computer memory to end.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

fredb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Fred Buechler [Devil Mountain Consulting]) (02/24/90)

In article <25E465B9.20395@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> tracey@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tracey Butler) writes:
>I've heard that there is a program that will enable you to use
>the hard disk as extra memory (not sure whether it is expanded
>or extended).
>
>Does anyone know that names of either commercial software or
>PD that will accomplish this?
>
>Thanks,
>butlert@mcmaster.ca

The program you are looking for is called _Above Disc_. You can get it from
most mail order software houses.

Fred Buechler                           fredb@llama.rtech.com
Devil Mountain Consulting, Inc          71261.2747@compuserve.com
Concord, California                     # include <DISCLAIMERS.STD>
"Don't test for an error condition that you don't know how to handle"

rick@NRC.COM (Rick Wagner) (02/24/90)

In article <25E465B9.20395@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> tracey@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tracey Butler) writes:
>I've heard that there is a program that will enable you to use
>the hard disk as extra memory (not sure whether it is expanded
>or extended).
>
>Does anyone know that names of either commercial software or
>PD that will accomplish this?
>
>Thanks,
>butlert@mcmaster.ca

I have heard of a program called "Above Disk".  There are probably
others.  It emulates EMS on a disk.  It is slow compared to real EMS,
but it allows you to do things in programs (Lotus 1-2-3) which will
overflow to EMS, but not to disk.

I haven't used it my self, but I hear that it works.

	--rick

P.S. I just had a thought: try using Above Disk to set up EMS to use
for a disk cache ;).

Rick Wagner						Network Research Corp.
rick@nrc.com						2380 North Rose Ave.
(805) 485-2700	FAX: (805) 485-8204			Oxnard, CA 93030
Don't hate yourself in the morning; sleep til noon.

ph62303@tut.fi (Hartoma Petri Juhani) (02/28/90)

In article <25E465B9.20395@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> tracey@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tracey Butler) writes:
>   I've heard that there is a program that will enable you to use
>   the hard disk as extra memory (not sure whether it is expanded
>   or extended).

Yes, you're right. VEMM (named as VEUM.ARC in SIMTEL20) can simulate
HD as expanded memory (8 MB max.). And if I don't remember wrong it is
in "true" Public Domain. In SIMTEL20 you can find it from
pd:<msdos.sysutl> named as veum.arc. If You don't have FTP access mail
me.

(* Petri *)
--
$ Petri Hartoma, Tre University of Technology $ "Terve n{kee sen otsallaan- $
$ Internet: ph62303@tut.fi, ph62303@tut.UUCP, $  kin, muttei sit{ laske si- $