[comp.sys.ibm.pc] memory between 640 and 1024

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (02/28/90)

Is tehre any way to use the memory on a PS/2 Model 30-286 between 640
(or 704) and 1024?

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu                              -Eric Kirkbride-
Is death a part of life?  Or is life a part of death?
Disclaimer:  These are only my opinions, etc...

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/28/90)

In article <AZui8S200W0OEne1o4@andrew.cmu.edu> eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) writes:
$Is tehre any way to use the memory on a PS/2 Model 30-286 between 640
$(or 704) and 1024?

   There isn't any ... on the 30-286, any memory beyond 640K appears at the
1M boundary and up, so you can use it as normal extended (not expanded)
memory.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) (03/01/90)

In article <25EB3BDC.27151@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
> In article <AZui8S200W0OEne1o4@andrew.cmu.edu> eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) writes:
> $Is tehre any way to use the memory on a PS/2 Model 30-286 between 640
> $(or 704) and 1024?
>
>    There isn't any ... on the 30-286, any memory beyond 640K appears at the
> 1M boundary and up, so you can use it as normal extended (not expanded)
> memory.
> Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

I have a PS/2 30-286 with 2MB.  I use a driver which makes the RAM above
1024 useful as expanded memory.  When I use the driver I get 1024K less
about 30K for a compnent of the driver.  This would seem to show that
there *is* memory between 640K and 1024K.  I called my IBM rep and he
verified that *if* the memory is on the motherboard (I have 2 1MB SIMMs)
then there *is* memory between 640K and 1024K and some of this RAM can
be used by the All Charge Card or software to load some TSRs and
some drivers (such as network software).  IBM also sells a software
program to load the drivers, but I can't find my notes and the name
escapes me.  Call your IBM rep for further details.

--
Richard L. Shelby                    rshelby@ms.uky.edu
Department of Health Services        rshelby@ukma.BITNET