[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FAT problems

gejohann@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Gene Edward Johannsen) (10/16/89)

I've got problems.  Recently my FAT has become _slightly_ messed up.  It's
not because of a virus or anything. Its just one of those things that happen
now and then.  The error causes CHKDSK to think that my C: drive is not a DOS
disk and the Norton Utilities doesn't think my C: drive is a hard disk, except
for the DISK TEST program that doesn't see anything wrong at all.

Anyway, I know that there are two copies of the FAT on my disk and everything
works okay using the backup, I would still like to fix my FAT--without
reformatting if possible.

The closest thing I get to an actual error message occurs when I attempt to
run DOG (a disk organizer program) that returns INVALID CLUSTER when it
tries to read the FAT.

All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Gene

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (10/19/89)

In article <1989Oct15.220849.21435@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>,
gejohann@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Gene Edward Johannsen) writes:

>I've got problems.  Recently my FAT has become _slightly_ messed up.  It's
>not because of a virus or anything. Its just one of those things that happen
>now and then.  The error causes CHKDSK to think that my C: drive is not a DOS
>disk and the Norton Utilities doesn't think my C: drive is a hard disk, except
>for the DISK TEST program that doesn't see anything wrong at all.
>
>Anyway, I know that there are two copies of the FAT on my disk and everything
>works okay using the backup, I would still like to fix my FAT--without
>reformatting if possible.
I, too, recently had a problem with the FAT on my hard disk. CHKDSK
gave the "Probable non-DOS disk " message and, for some reason, the
settings in my CONFIG.SYS file didn't take effect. Someone told me
to see whether the first two bytes of the FAT were "F8FF". In fact,
they were "F7FF". Since the same person said he didn't think the FAT
problem had any effect on my CONFIG.SYS difficulties, I decided to
reformat my disk anyway. After I did, all the problems vanished,
and, sure enough, the first two bytes in the FAT now read "F8FF". If
the first two bytes in the two copies of the FAT on your hard disk
aren't "F8FF", you might try changing them using Norton or something
similar. Of course I wouldn't do anything of that kind without
backing up the disk and assuming that I might have to reformat.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University

greiner@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Greiner) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct15.220849.21435@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> gejohann@uokmax.UUCP (Gene Edward Johannsen) writes:

>I've got problems.  Recently my FAT has become _slightly_ messed up.  It's
>not because of a virus or anything. Its just one of those things that happen
>now and then.  The error causes CHKDSK to think that my C: drive is not a DOS
>disk and the Norton Utilities doesn't think my C: drive is a hard disk, except
>for the DISK TEST program that doesn't see anything wrong at all.

     I ran into this problem myself a while back and spent a lot of
time tracking down the problem (and learned alot about hard disks
on the way).  According to Microsoft, the first byte in each copy of the
FAT table is a Media Descriptor byte.  This byte is used to identify the
type drive to DOS.  Though only the first FAT table is usually accessed
for this info, even there it is rarely used.  Apparently, there is another
copy of this value in the boot sector (or is it the partition table?).  Some
programs look at one, other programs the other.  If one value gets corrupted
to a value that doesn't have a meaning defined by Microsoft, a program may
consider the disk to be a non-DOS disk (as chkdsk does).  Other programs
which are only looking to see if the value corresponds to the value(s)
assigned to hard disk formats, may, upon detecting a corrupted value,
declare the drive not to be a hard drive.  Programs which look to the other
location for the Media Descriptor byte will run just fine.  Microsoft
gave me this information (as well as the location of the Media Descriptor
byte in the boot sector/partition table, but I don't have the letter with
me...).  If you have access to Norton Utilities, you can check the first
byte of the 1st FAT table (make sure to use hex mode, not the fat table
editor as it doesn't show the Media Descriptor byte).  It should be F8 for
most hard drives, but I can't be certain that's what it should be for yours.
In my case, I changed it to F8, and the symptoms you described dissappeared.

   -John Greiner

MLAB1@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/20/89)

johnlee@pnet07.cts.com (John Wiley) (10/21/89)

Jonathan Lavigne writes:

>If the first two bytes of the FAT on your hard disk aren't "F8FF"

The first byte of each copy of the FAT is called the "Media Descriptor Byte,"
and you're right - it should be F8 according to "THE MS-DOS ENCYCLOPEDIA" by
Duncan.  He also points out that this same value should be found in the "Boot
Record," which is logical sector 0 of the partition (on most C: drives, that's
BIOS sector 1, Track 0, Side 1).  Offset 15 hex (21 decimal) is the location
of the Media Descriptor in the Boot Record (counting from offset 0).  If you
do try fixing the Media Descriptor Byte in the FATs, it would be good to check
the one in the Boot Record too.  Assuming you can get it to work, it would be
a good idea to back it up and do a low-level format.  That's the best
insurance for future data integrity.   -good luck.
UUCP: nosc!pnet07!johnlee   (John Wiley - San Diego, CA.)
ARPA: simasd!pnet07!johnlee@nosc.mil
INET: johnlee@pnet07.cts.com

mitch@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) (03/01/90)

Help!

I am having a FAT problem on my 40 meg hard drive. One of the FAT's has
gotten corrupted, and I dont know what software to use to fix it! The
copy of the FAT is ok (that's what chkdsk says). So I am still running
but I want to fix the problem before it gets too bad to fix. I have already
backed up the drive... just reformatting it does not fix it (low or high)
I must have gotten a new bad spot on the disk? Chkdsk /F does not fix it?
why?

Advice needed quickly!
Thanx
Mitch Wood