[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MAXIMUM DIALED DIGITS IN PROCOMM PLUS

mdr@PacBell.COM (Mike Richmond) (02/27/90)

Greetings,

I just tried to dial a rather long number from
Procomm Plus.  The manual claims a maximum of
60 digits.  Works great for me up to 37 digits,
then it appears to not even attempt to dial.

(Version 1.1b, I believe; fails in both Manual
dial and by highlighting an entry in the
Directory.)

Help!

Mike Richmond

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (02/27/90)

In article <1852@pbhyc.PacBell.COM>, mdr@PacBell.COM (Mike Richmond) writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I just tried to dial a rather long number from
> Procomm Plus.  The manual claims a maximum of
> 60 digits.  Works great for me up to 37 digits,
> then it appears to not even attempt to dial.

(ob disclaimer... I don't use Procomm, but...)

Time to RTFM... the modem manual, though.

If your modem is similar to mine (and most Hayes-compats I've used), the
command string is limited to 40 characters. ATD+37 looks to be 40.

There's a workaround, I suppose, that I've used. Ending your command
string with a ; will keep the modem in command mode. Thus, you could do

ATD[20 or so digits];
ATD[another 20 or so];
ATD[the rest of them]

and after the first 2 commands, you will remain in command mode.

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/02/90)

In article <1852@pbhyc.PacBell.COM> mdr@PacBell.COM (Mike Richmond) writes:
$I just tried to dial a rather long number from
$Procomm Plus.  The manual claims a maximum of
$60 digits.  Works great for me up to 37 digits,
$then it appears to not even attempt to dial.

   This isn't a Procomm problem ... it's a modem problem.  Typical Hayes-
compatible modems have a limit on the size of a command string, which is
about 40 characters.  Take off three for ATD and you're left with about
37.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";