[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dumpster diving pays off

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (02/21/90)

Attention computer archeologists: HELP!

I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
My only investment so far is $50 for a new power supply; everything
appears to work, including the full-size CGA card.

My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
harddrive?  Installing the drive in my AT clone was easy.. I don't
have any documentation for this sucker, and don't even know where
to begin.

This is an oooold computer, a model 5151 according to the nameplate on
the back... the 8088 cpu is stamped 1981, which places the machine
firmly in the mists of time.  Does the BIOS even support a harddrive?
What would happen if I plugged a hard-card in?

Should I even bother?

David
--
David Paulsen    ..uunet!nuchat!seven  ||| The Curiosity Shop BBS, 713/326-3729
Q: What do you get when you cross a dyslexic with an atheist?

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (02/22/90)

To install a hard disk in an ancient IBM PC is easy.  All you need is
an 8 bit hard disk controller.   I would recommend the Western Digital(I
am a WD fan from experience) 8 bit RLL controller (WD 1002-27X model I think).
You should be able to find it mail order for about $50-$60.  You then need an
RLL hard drive and cabling.  There are numerous mail order places that sell
hard drive kits for "XT's" which will work fine in the old IBM PC's.  If the
BIOS is really ancient, you won't be able to boot of of the hard disk.  Most
places will supply a small program for the old ones which allows the system
to use the hard disk after booting off of floppy.  I would upgarde the BIOS
on the IBM if it were super old.  Any authorized IBM dealer will swap the BIOS
for about $30-$40.
                                      Brent H. Besler

In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>Attention computer archeologists: HELP!
>
>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
>
>My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
>harddrive?  Installing the drive in my AT clone was easy.. I don't
>have any documentation for this sucker, and don't even know where
>to begin.
>
>This is an oooold computer, a model 5151 according to the nameplate on

I don't believe you can do too much in the way of a hard disk, at least
not a full or half height drive. There may be a possibility that you can
upgrade the bios. I'm not familiar with hard cards, but my impression is
that they need to be supported by the bios the same as regular hard
disks.

According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
disks.

Hope that helps.

Patrick Draper   ----  Michigan State University

lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) (02/23/90)

In article <6550@cps3xx.UUCP> draper@cpsin1.UUCP (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>>My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
>>harddrive?  Installing the drive in my AT clone was easy.. I don't
>>have any documentation for this sucker, and don't even know where
>>to begin.
>>This is an oooold computer, a model 5151 according to the nameplate on
>I don't believe you can do too much in the way of a hard disk, at least
>not a full or half height drive. There may be a possibility that you can
>upgrade the bios. I'm not familiar with hard cards, but my impression is
>that they need to be supported by the bios the same as regular hard
>disks.
>According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
>underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
>in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
>disks.

I am not sure about the date or model number,
but I recently installed a 10mb true blue hard
disk into an original IBM PC.  Just plugged in
the card and the drive and it booted to the
hard disk right away.

Give it a try.  If you have troubles,
drop me a line.  I have a couple of
IBM PC technical manuals here, and will
be happy to do some research for you.

I tried mailing to you, but ucscc does not
know nuchat.

You should be able to pick up a hard disk
for experimentation pretty cheap.  I have gotten
two IBM full hight 10 meggers, one for $25 and
one for $50.

If you dont have any success and want to slime the beast,
drop me a line...I can always use it as a controller.
Will make an offer.

lance
lance%helios.ucsc.edu@ucscc.ucsc.edu
.

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/23/90)

In article <6550@cps3xx.UUCP> draper@cpsin1.UUCP (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>>Attention computer archeologists: HELP!
>>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
>>
>I don't believe you can do too much in the way of a hard disk, at least
>not a full or half height drive. There may be a possibility that you can
>upgrade the bios. I'm not familiar with hard cards, but my impression is
>that they need to be supported by the bios the same as regular hard
>disks.
>
>According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
>underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
>in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
>disks.
>
>Patrick Draper   ----  Michigan State University

Hey, don't be so negative!!!

I'm using an original PC to write this.  It has a 1982 BIOS from IBM (the
only thing that had to be upgraded), two hard drives totalling 97 Meg (one
at 28 ms), a SuperVGA card, a 9600 baud datalink, an optical mouse, a 24-pin
printer, two high-density floppy drives, and a 386SX accelerator card!

All of these items worked first try - none required any workarounds for the
fact that this is a PC-2 (256K motherboard), and it probably wouldn't have
mattered too much if it were a PC-1; I think the accelerator card has a
workaround for that.

The only big problem is that I can only get 640K (at least, I haven't
investigated expanding it), and it has to be cached for the accelerator, but
that works fine.  I've had no problems with video or harddrive access.

Typing d f000:fff5 in debug gives me the BIOS date: 10/27/82.  You should
still be able to order this chip (or any of a number of clones of it) from
a dealer, or through mail-order.  That is, if you don't already have it -
it's required, I think, to have 640K in the machine, so if you have that
much already, you're OK.

You *will* need to upgrade the power supply, in case I forgot to mention that.
150W is a good size, although 125 or more is plenty.

Sorry I've taken up so much space here, but I wouldn't want to see his PC

Kevin Martin
sigma@pawl.rpi.edu
--
Irving Arlevine Falls Twenty-Two thousand feet out of 747 ... and survives.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (02/23/90)

In article <6550@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
> >
> >I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
> >
> >My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
> >harddrive?
>
> I don't believe you can do too much in the way of a hard disk, at least
> not a full or half height drive. There may be a possibility that you can
> upgrade the bios. I'm not familiar with hard cards, but my impression is
> that they need to be supported by the bios the same as regular hard
> disks.
>
> According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
> underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
> in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
> disks.

There is a direct connection.  One problem with the old original
PC BIOS was that there was no provision for BIOS extension ROMs.
This mechanism is used by essentially all hard disk controllers
(This is code that usually winds up at location C800:0).  It is
also used by the EGA, PGA, and VGA video adapters (this is code
that usually winds up at location C000:0).  The BIOS extensions
have a special prefix code (55AA) to allow the regular BIOS to
recognize them.

Hard cards run into exactly the same problems.  The controller
bootstrap code has to live somewhere.

There should be no particular problem finding replacement BIOS
chips, if you aren't sold on getting a genuine IBM BIOS chip.
That would probably be pretty hard to find at this late date,
original PC is so dated.

There is an alternative.  It is possible to boot such a machine
from floppy and then switch over to the hard drive to do all
the "real" work.  You would either need a disk driver on the
floppy, or a special program to tie the hard disk bIOS into the
BIOS transfer vector (I don't think this is done automatically
by the low-level MS-DOS code on such an old machine ... that's
usually the function of the ROM-BIOS, as noted above).  You
would probably want to redefine COMSPEC, for example, to point
to COMMAND.COM on the hard disk drive.  It does get to be a bit
of a pain though to have to hunt up the boot floppy all the
time (since you will want to use the floppy drive(s) for other
disks too, you can't keep the boot disk in the drive _all_ the
time ...).  If you are willing to do enough groveling it is
probably possible to do a similar trick with an EGA/VGA video
adapter, with a special program in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on
the boot floppy to link the BIOS extension code into the low
memory transfer vector for the BIOS.

If you are stuck with the old BIOS, and have _any_ cash to spare,
you would be doing yourself a big favor to upgrade to a modern
BIOS.  Replacement chips only cost a few bucks.

						Bruce C. Wright

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/24/90)

> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
>My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
>harddrive?

If you wan't my opinion, spend a hundred bucks and just replace the whole
motherboard; get a 10mhz clone board (and put a V20 in it.)  Then you don't
have to worry about BIOSs and whether or not a hard drive controller will work.

If you really want 100% IBM compatibility (BASICA) then pull the BASIC roms
off the IBM mother board and put them on the turbo board.  (You didn't hear
this from me)  But better yet, would be to get a generic DOS with
G(ee)W(hiz)BASIC.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/24/90)

In article <2914@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
>>My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
>>harddrive?
>
>If you wan't my opinion, spend a hundred bucks and just replace the whole
>motherboard; get a 10mhz clone board (and put a V20 in it.)

Just be sure to get a 5 slot motherboard, else you'll need a case.  then when
you run out of slots, throw them both away & get more slots, and also buy all
new 10 Mhz memory, cause the antique rams probablw won't run that fast, and
most 10 Mhz PC/5 slot motherboards require 256K chips, and often the last
128 isn't even 64K ram anymore, then if it does allow 64K's & you need
a multi function board which may or may not work at 10Mhz....
   No I wouldn't buy a new $ 25 pheonix (or whoever) bios IF needed either
(avail. from jameco electronics)   8-).
al

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (02/24/90)

In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP>, seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
> Attention computer archeologists: HELP!
>
> I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!

     CONGRATULATIONS!!! Old isn't necessarily junk..

> My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
> harddrive?  Installing the drive in my AT clone was easy.. I don't
> have any documentation for this sucker, and don't even know where
> to begin.

     I'm using the very same machine with a 40meg hard card in it. No
need to do anything exotic, just plugged in the card and formatted it.
It won't fly with the speed of an AT but it's adaquate for most medium
memory tasks. Biggest gripe is the 512k RAM limit. BTW, when you get a
hard drive on that thing, you'll notice a little   +   in the upper
right hand corner of the display every time the hard drive is accessed.
Normal, so don't worry.

I'm using mine with Telix, WordStar 5.0 Pro, Nutshell, and several other
well known programs.

> Should I even bother?

   I would....... hell, I DID! :-)

            *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :---------: UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!compnect!dave :-]
:                                 : 2832 Croyden Rd.  Harrisburg, Pa. 17104   :
: Sometimes, older IS better!!!!! :   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
[.................................:...........................................]

sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/24/90)

In article <2199@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
> In article <2914@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
> >> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
> >>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!

> >If you wan't my opinion, spend a hundred bucks and just replace the whole
> >motherboard; get a 10mhz clone board (and put a V20 in it.)
>
> Just be sure to get a 5 slot motherboard, else you'll need a case. ...

There are 8-slot motherboards available that fit a standard PC case.
Just be sure to ask when buying...

*   Remember, the year 2000 *is*     *      Steve Croft, Qualimetrics, Inc.  *
*      a leap year...                *      (ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!qmet!sc)  *

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (02/25/90)

A heartfelt THANKYAVERYMUCH to all the kind folks who wrote me with
information, addresses and advice for turning my dumpster orphan into
a real computer!  I'm still assimilating information, and depending
on what other hardware I can scrounge I'll probably end up going one
of two routes:

   1. A hardcard with built-in BIOS upgrade

   2. An XT controller and cheapo 10MB harddisk, boot from floppy.

Or failing that, I'll just buy an XT AboveBoard card, load it up with a
gigabyte of 41256 chips and NEVER TURN IT OFF!  Yeah, right...

In article <3603@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <6550@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>> >
>> >I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
>> >
>> >My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
>> >harddrive?
>>
>> According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
>> underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
>> in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
>> disks.
>
>There is a direct connection.  One problem with the old original
>PC BIOS was that there was no provision for BIOS extension ROMs.
>This mechanism is used by essentially all hard disk controllers
>(This is code that usually winds up at location C800:0).  It is
>also used by the EGA, PGA, and VGA video adapters (this is code
>that usually winds up at location C000:0).
>[...]
>Hard cards run into exactly the same problems.  The controller
>bootstrap code has to live somewhere.

This is true even of hardcards that supposedly replace the BIOS upon
installation?  Is it possible to have the original BIOS ROMS still plugged
into the motherboard, and still have "upgraded" ROMS via a slotted card,
which is how I imagine the hardcard doing its trick..?  Given my druthers,
I'd rather not mess with (a) acquiring new ROMS and then (b) messing with
the circuitboard to replace them, risking (c) frying the already ancient
and/or fragile chips that are already there.

If I can, I'd like to be able to plug in either a hardcard, or an XT
drive controller + cheap harddisk.  Possible w/o new BIOS?

Failing that, I'll probably end up swapping motherboards for one of
those $150 specials I see advertised in the Computer Shopper.. 10MHz
and 640K all on one motherboard, with no BIOS worries.

>There is an alternative.  It is possible to boot such a machine
>from floppy and then switch over to the hard drive to do all
>the "real" work.

Waitaminute.. THIS sounds interesting.  With my old BIOS?  I could
live with booting from a floppy, as long as my machine can at least
see the harddisk.

>You would either need a disk driver on the
>floppy, or a special program to tie the hard disk bIOS into the
>BIOS transfer vector (I don't think this is done automatically
>by the low-level MS-DOS code on such an old machine ... that's
>usually the function of the ROM-BIOS, as noted above).

I THINK I begin to understand.  The computer has the controller and
drive, but doesn't know it's there until the harddrive BIOS is
"appended" to the inboard BIOS..?  This is done upon startup?
How about drivers such as DRIVER.SYS in dos 3.3?  Could you place
that in your config.sys file (on drive A: ..heh) and tell the computer
you have an "external" device that just happens to be a hard drive?

I could live with this!  I mean, two weeks ago it didn't even
power up.. now there's hope for a harddrive.  So what if I have to
stand on my hands to get it to boot?  :-)

>If you are stuck with the old BIOS, and have _any_ cash to spare,
>you would be doing yourself a big favor to upgrade to a modern
>BIOS.  Replacement chips only cost a few bucks.
>
>						Bruce C. Wright

Do replacement BIOS chipsets come with installation instructions for
terrified non-tech folk who know (roughly) that the pointy little legs
go down, and that's about all?  I'd hate to ruin this poor, forsaken
machine.. after it survived its terrible dumpster ordeal.

David

--
David Paulsen    ..uunet!nuchat!seven  ||| The Curiosity Shop BBS, 713/326-3729
Q: What do you get when you cross a dyslexic with an atheist?
A: Someone who doesn't believe in dogs.

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (02/25/90)

In article <10843@saturn.ucsc.edu> lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) writes:
>In article <6550@cps3xx.UUCP> draper@cpsin1.UUCP (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>>In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>>According to <begin underline>The Winn Rosch Hardware Bible<end
>>underline> (how do you underline anyway?) the original IBM PC introduced
>>in 1981 cannot handle advanced video adaptors (presumeably EGA) or hard
>>disks.

True, the BIOS in the original PC-I (with the 64K motherboard) doesn't scan
for adapter ROMs (such as those on hard disk cards).  The PC-II (with
the 256K motherboard) did scan for ROMS, so you can install hard disks
in them without a BIOS upgrade.  The power supply may be too wimpy, though.
--
Mark Alexander	(amdahl!drivax!alexande)

pabres13@pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V.) (02/25/90)

	David, I have seen the method of booting from floppy, and justpopping
over to the hard drive used in older computers.  The company I used to work
for had an old Corona PC with older bioses, this was fixed with an Everex
hard drive controller card ( I don't know which one ), and a driver loaded
from dos that would allow the user to go to the hard drive.

	I am sorry, I can't get exact part numbers anymore etc., they sod
the machine.  I would try calling Everex ( I don't know the number either,
but call 1-800-555-1212 for 800 information) and trying to get their card
that handles this.  Unless you go the hardcard route, you'll need a controller
card anyway.  I seriously doubt that any patch program like this would exist
for a hard card device.  As for as changing your bios chips... this is a very,
very, simple operation.  If you go to your nearest pc user group I am sure
that you could find someone that could help you.  They may even let you bring
the thing there, and your dumpster-orphan could the evenings' demonstration
(Sounds like an interesting thing to me).

--
John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: pabres13@pc.usl.edu                     |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|

hoffman@wrdso.ATT.DSO (Paul R Hoffman) (02/27/90)

In article <476@compnect.UUCP>, dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) writes:
> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP>, seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
> > I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!
> > My question: what exactly do I have to do to this beast to install a
> > harddrive?  Installing the drive in my AT clone was easy.. I don't
> > have any documentation for this sucker, and don't even know where
> > to begin.
>      I'm using the very same machine with a 40meg hard card in it. No
> need to do anything exotic, just plugged in the card and formatted it.
> It won't fly with the speed of an AT but it's adaquate for most medium
> memory tasks. Biggest gripe is the 512k RAM limit. BTW, when you get a
> hard drive on that thing, you'll notice a little   +   in the upper
> right hand corner of the display every time the hard drive is accessed.
> Normal, so don't worry.

I also have an old IBM-PC, vintage 1981, with a 04/*/81 ROM BIOS (the first)
which only supports a total of 544K RAM and knows NOTHING of hard drives.
(It has 64K on systemboard w/ 16K RAM chips, cassette interface, 2 full
height 5.25" floppies,etc.) If yours is this vintage you will have to
upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard, since it was the next release (11/*/81,
I think) which first could recognize such things as hard drives. (Western
Digital Hard Drive Controllers have a way to bypass system ROM BIOS and use
BIOS on the controller card, I think, but the details are fuzzy...)

I think the official BIOS upgrade can still be purchased, probably in the
$45-$50 range...But keep you eyes out in computer surplus stores if you are
willing to risk some bucks...A few weeks ago, for example, HALTEC in
Mountain View, CA had a sale where they were selling (new) old XT-Clone
System Boards including ROM BIOS for $37.
Paul Russell Hoffman	UUCP/Email:  att!fswest!hoffman or  attmail!phoffman
/* Suck up to everyone, you never know who you're going to work for. */

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (03/02/90)

sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:

<In article <2199@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
<> In article <2914@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
<> >> In article <19768@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
<> >>I recently rescued an ancient IBM-PC from the dumpster.. and it works!

<> >If you wan't my opinion, spend a hundred bucks and just replace the whole
<> >motherboard; get a 10mhz clone board (and put a V20 in it.)
<>
<> Just be sure to get a 5 slot motherboard, else you'll need a case. ...

<There are 8-slot motherboards available that fit a standard PC case.
<Just be sure to ask when buying...

No there are not. There are 8 slot motherboards that will fit an *XT* case.
The slot spacing on a PC motherboard is different and even though an 8 slot
board will fit, the slots won't line up with the openings in the case. This
makes it more than a little difficult to install cards!

Since the card slot openings are an integral part of the case, you have to
buy a 5-slot motherboard for a PC case.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]