[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wordstar

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (02/28/90)

In article <4710@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:
>Dare I suggest (gasp) WordStar?

Looks like you dared.  There's one annoying feature of Wordstar that
keeps me from recommending it.  It writes files out is a rather
unstandard format for DOS.  I seems to pad the end of file with ^Z
(control-Z) to the nearest block.  Of course the file size in the
directory information includes all these extra ^Z characters :-(
Has this feature :-) been removesd from the recent versions of
Wordstar?

>And yes, I even still use WordStar.  And admit it in public.  :-) :-)

I know lots of people who use Wordstar, but they get annoyed when they
don't have it for their UNIX box :-) ....then they switch to vi :-)
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

tbopp@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Tom Bopp) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Feb28.144559.29221@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <4710@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:
>>Dare I suggest (gasp) WordStar?
>
>Looks like you dared.  There's one annoying feature of Wordstar that
>keeps me from recommending it.  It writes files out is a rather
>unstandard format for DOS.  I seems to pad the end of file with ^Z
>(control-Z) to the nearest block.  Of course the file size in the
>directory information includes all these extra ^Z characters :-(
>Has this feature :-) been removesd from the recent versions of
>Wordstar?

This "feature" can be disabled in WS 5.5, but not in 4.0 and I don't
know about 5.0.  From WS5.5's WSCHANGE main menu, do this:

  D  Wordstar
  B  Editing
  H  Wordstar Compatibility
  G  Automatically fills out last record  (SETEOF)
      (Change ON to OFF)

Like magic, no more extra ^Z's.  It is also possible to set WS up so
that it is automatically in nondocument mode whenever you name the
file in the command line (like, C>ws config.sys).  The path through
the WSCHANGE menus to do this is D, C, B, A.

mep@stb.uucp (???) (03/03/90)

In article <1990Feb28.144559.29221@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <4710@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:
>>Dare I suggest (gasp) WordStar?
>
>Looks like you dared.  There's one annoying feature of Wordstar that
>keeps me from recommending it.  It writes files out is a rather
>unstandard format for DOS.  I seems to pad the end of file with ^Z
>(control-Z) to the nearest block.  Of course the file size in the
>directory information includes all these extra ^Z characters :-(
>Has this feature :-) been removesd from the recent versions of
>Wordstar?

It still does it but since a disk file always takes up disk space to
fill an allocation block, nothing it lost by having a few (128 max)
ctrl-Z's appended to a file.

>>And yes, I even still use WordStar.  And admit it in public.  :-) :-)
>
>I know lots of people who use Wordstar, but they get annoyed when they
>don't have it for their UNIX box :-) ....then they switch to vi :-)
>--

Well, I imprinted on WS about 7 years ago under CP/M and I would
never think of using vi... tooooooooo many modes... give me emacs
but then if I had a UNIX version of WS, I'd be even happier.

marty