[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Long PATH in DOS

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp (BRADLEY GRIGOR) (03/02/90)

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
Subj: How can I set a PATH longer than 128 bytes ?

hR>How can I set my dos PATH variable longer than 128 bytes?  I'm running
hR>DOS 3.3.  It seems when I set my PATH variable in my AUTOEXEC.BAT,
hR>DOS truncates anything longer than 128 bytes.  Is there a way to do
hR>this by assigning shorter environment variables and concatenating
hR>them somehow ? Thanks.

If you really need all those entries in your PATH, try using
drive letters as SUBSTitutes for entire paths (see the SUBST
command in your DOS documentation for more details).  For
example, if you say:  SUBST  G  C:\DOS\UTILS  then you can use
the drive G: as a substitute for the path C:\DOS\UTILS.  Be sure
to configure a sufficient number of drive letters with the
LASTDRIVE= command in CONFIG.SYS.  I normally run LASTDRIVE=Z, so
that I can use SUBST freely.

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp  :  ALEX is coming to Toronto in April.
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada     :  TelePoker will be there - will YOU?
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #4613  Do not believe in miracles -- RELY on them!

jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) (03/03/90)

: Message entered 1990 03 02  21:09 :

Hello Bradley.I am a bit unsure on posting messages to Usenet since
I haven't got any replies yet.Does one have to include the following
two lines to the addressee as you have below or is the name in the
message header on top left sufficient?With normal Qmail system it is.

BG>heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
BG>Subj: How can I set a PATH longer than 128 bytes ?

I replied to the same person using your format and hope it gets
through.
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #1435  jack.lupic@canremote.uucp