[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Replacing an 80386 with an 80486

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (02/27/90)

In article <25E98AD7.9457@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
> $For example the numeric coprocessor and a memory cache are include in the
> $chip. As for upgrading, that depends on whether your 386 was designed
> $for upgrading. There is a major difference in the motherboard design
> [...]
>
>    Yup ... the whole motherboard has to be replaced unless it was
> designed for upgrading, and very few machines are designed for upgrading.
> --
    It seems like it would not be all that hard to design a teeny daughter
board that fits into the 80386 socket, and carries an 80486.  Is there a
real difference in design of the support circuitry, that an 80486 wouldn't
work in place of an 80386?  From what I understand about the '486, to the
outside world (i.e., the motherboard), it shouldn't look much different from
an 80386.  I would guess that the 80486 might have a couple extra control
lines that might need to be tied off somehow, but it should be able to start
up off of a standard 80386 BIOS, even.  When '486 prices fall, this seems
like a potentially inexpensive upgrade - instead of getting a fast 80387,
for example.

 - David Hinds
   dhinds@portia.stanford.edu

v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (03/01/90)

In article <9589@portia.Stanford.EDU>, dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
> In article <25E98AD7.9457@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>> $For example the numeric coprocessor and a memory cache are include in the
>> $chip. As for upgrading, that depends on whether your 386 was designed
>> $for upgrading. There is a major difference in the motherboard design
>> [...]
>>
>>    Yup ... the whole motherboard has to be replaced unless it was
>> designed for upgrading, and very few machines are designed for upgrading.
>> --
>     It seems like it would not be all that hard to design a teeny daughter
> board that fits into the 80386 socket, and carries an 80486.  Is there a
> real difference in design of the support circuitry, that an 80486 wouldn't
> work in place of an 80386?  From what I understand about the '486, to the
> outside world (i.e., the motherboard), it shouldn't look much different from
> an 80386.  I would guess that the 80486 might have a couple extra control
> lines that might need to be tied off somehow, but it should be able to start
> up off of a standard 80386 BIOS, even.  When '486 prices fall, this seems
> like a potentially inexpensive upgrade - instead of getting a fast 80387,
> for example.
>
>  - David Hinds
>    dhinds@portia.stanford.edu

I would have to agree.  The design of the 486 compared to the 386 is not unlike
the 386 is to the 286, for which there are many options for upgrades, only the
most radical of which is motherboard replacement.  I would have to beleive the
boys at Intel are gonna be working overtime to get an Inboard/486 out on the
market, once they get the bugs out of the 486, that is.

Alex Cutrone
v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

cb@sequoia.UUCP (Christopher D. Brown) (03/01/90)

?!?!?!? If you have a 386 why would you switch to a 486 instead of adding
a 387?

The only IMPORTANT differences, as I understand, are as follows:
   1) Intel i$ $pending lot$ of dollar$ trying to make u$ believe
      that the 486 is my$tically better than 386+387.
   2) The 386+387 configuration is available and works.

What am I missing?

--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|texbell|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (03/02/90)

In article <9830@sequoia.UUCP> cb@sequoia.UUCP () writes:
>?!?!?!? If you have a 386 why would you switch to a 486 instead of adding
>a 387?

At a given clock rate, a 486 is at least three times faster than a 386.  While
the 386 takes at least two and more often five or six cycles to execute an
instruction, the 486 runs most of its instructions in one cycle each.  The
speedup for floating point is apparently even greater.  When Intel went from
the 286 to the 386, they added a lot of new function but the clocks per
instruction remained about the same.  The 486, on the other hand, is basically
a performance upgrade with a tiny bit of new function to make it easier to
implement multiprocessor systems.

Then again, given that the 486 is still a member of the bug-of-the-month club,
and that it costs considerably more, I'll wait.  People who care about math
speed should consider getting a Cyrix or IIT math chip.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/02/90)

In article <9830@sequoia.UUCP>, cb@sequoia.UUCP (Christopher D. Brown) writes:
> ?!?!?!? If you have a 386 why would you switch to a 486 instead of adding
> a 387?
>
> The only IMPORTANT differences, as I understand, are as follows:
>    1) Intel i$ $pending lot$ of dollar$ trying to make u$ believe
>       that the 486 is my$tically better than 386+387.
>    2) The 386+387 configuration is available and works.
>
> What am I missing?

    It seems to me that the superiority of the 486 is a bit more than
mystery.  First, it sounds like it would be reasonable to expect a 486
stuck in a 386 board to run about 2X as fast as the 386 at the same
clock speed and with the same support hardware, due to improved pipelining
and the internal cache.  Second, the 486 floating point unit is supposed
to be like an order of magnitude faster than a 387.  If adapting a 486
to a 386 socket is trivial, as it sounds like it might be, the cost of the
upgrade would be little more than the cost of the 486.  Sounds to me like
an easy way to upgrade, no?
    A peripheral advantage of the 486 market is that it will put a lot of
pressure on 386 and 387 prices, since a 386+387 needs to be quite a bit
cheaper than a 486 for Intel to hope to save both markets.  I don't know
what a 486 costs now - as a guess, say $1000 for 25MHz?  If this is cut
in half over the next year, which would not be unreasonable, that would
push similarly clocked 386+387 prices into the basement.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/02/90)

In article <241.25ec328b@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>............  The design of the 486 compared to the 386 is not unlike
>the 386 is to the 286, for which there are many options for upgrades, only the
>most radical of which is motherboard replacement.  I would have to beleive the
>boys at Intel are gonna be working overtime to get an Inboard/486 out on the
>market, once they get the bugs out of the 486, that is.
>
>Alex Cutrone
>v126gfl3@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

If the recent past is an indication about "drop in proccessor boards", I
would NOT consider getting or waiting for one.  In the last year, it has
really become as INEXPENSIVE to replace the MOTHER-BOARD as to use an
"Inboard-type drop-in board".  By actually replacing the mother-board you also
forgo so many of the probablems associated with drop-in boards.
Also  mother-board replacements tend to yeild  faster machines.
To be Specific, when you use a "Drop in microproccessor
board, you are still limited to using your original memory, and bus, not
to memtion your system has more unneeded complexity.  If you actually
replace the mother-board, the whole system is actually deisgned for that
microproccessor.  To give an example, the i486 has some new special
burst cache fill features.  To use these features, the i486 has to have
the memory system designed specially for it.  Granted you can disable
these features, but why.  I do understand that if intel actually does
make an Inboard/486 product, they will probably put the memory on the
board.  Even so, everything else will still be limited to the bus of
the original mother board.  Also trying to get all the memory on the
Inboard might be a little hard with larger (lots of MB) systems.

Finally, to change the mother board on most systems isn't that much harder
than another card.  Granted it will take maybe an hour and half, compared
with just the half for drop in board, but I think the benifits are worth it!!!

	Just Some of My opinions
		Dean

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/02/90)

In article <9830@sequoia.UUCP> cb@sequoia.UUCP () writes:
$?!?!?!? If you have a 386 why would you switch to a 486 instead of adding
$a 387?

   Speed.

$The only IMPORTANT differences, as I understand, are as follows:
$   1) Intel i$ $pending lot$ of dollar$ trying to make u$ believe
$      that the 486 is my$tically better than 386+387.
$   2) The 386+387 configuration is available and works.
$What am I missing?

   Well, I recall seeing a benchmark of a couple of 486/25 systems
against a couple of 386/33 systems in BYTE's February issue.  Relative
to an 8 MHz AT, the 386 systems had a performance level of around 6,
while the 486 systems were at about 7 on a mix that didn't include
floating point.  Floating point ran somewhat more than twice as fast
on the 486 machines as it did on the 386 machines.

   Don't forget that a) Intel has made many instructions operate much
faster on the 486 than on the 386/387 (especially in floating point),
and b) all 486 systems have at least 8K of cache memory, and optionally
more, while 386 systems may not have any.

   It isn't just mystic ... it's real.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

alexew@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Alex E. Wielhouwer) (03/02/90)

In article <9673@portia.Stanford.EDU> dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
>  First, it sounds like it would be reasonable to expect a 486
>stuck in a 386 board to run about 2X as fast as the 386 at the same
>clock speed and with the same support hardware, due to improved pipelining
>and the internal cache.  Second, the 486 floating point unit is supposed
>to be like an order of magnitude faster than a 387.  If adapting a 486
-----

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in a multi-tasking environment, the
floating point registers and stack need to be handled seperately on a
'386/'387 system during task swaps, or, in some cases the '387 is ignored.
(OS/2?). With a '486 environment, this should be much more efficient, i.e.,
faster.

 Alex E. Wielhouwer, P.Eng.,                        (519)885-1211 x3422
 Department of Computing Services, University of Waterloo,
 200 University Avenue W, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.   N2L 3G1

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/03/90)

In article <1304@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, alexew@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Alex E. Wielhouwer) writes:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in a multi-tasking environment, the
> floating point registers and stack need to be handled seperately on a
> '386/'387 system during task swaps, or, in some cases the '387 is ignored.
> (OS/2?). With a '486 environment, this should be much more efficient, i.e.,
> faster.

    During task switches, the 386 saves its own context, but does not
automatically save the floating point processor's context.  It generates
an interrupt at the first floating point operation following a task switch,
so the system software can handle switching 387 contexts.  As this feature
was not present in the 80286, OS/2 probably doesn't know about it.  OS/2
may do it manually whenever a task switch happens, or never do it - I don't
know.  The 386 method has the advantage of not unnecessarily saving and
restoring the 387 context for tasks that don't use floating point.  I don't
know how the 486 does this, but one of the "new features to improve
multitasking" may be to quickly save/restore the floating point context
automatically.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (03/03/90)

In article <9729@portia.Stanford.EDU> dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
}    During task switches, the 386 saves its own context, but does not
}automatically save the floating point processor's context.  It generates
}an interrupt at the first floating point operation following a task switch,
}so the system software can handle switching 387 contexts.  As this feature
}was not present in the 80286, OS/2 probably doesn't know about it.  OS/2

Certainly it was present in the 286.  From the Intel 286 Programmer's
Reference:

	The context of a processor extension (such as the 80287 numerics
	processor) is not changed by the task switch operation. ... The
	80286 detects the first use of a processor extension after a task
	switch by causing the processor extension not-present exception
	(#7) if the TS bit is set. (page 11-5)
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

In article <9830@sequoia.UUCP> cb@sequoia.UUCP () writes:

| The only IMPORTANT differences, as I understand, are as follows:
|    1) Intel i$ $pending lot$ of dollar$ trying to make u$ believe
|       that the 486 is my$tically better than 386+387.
|    2) The 386+387 configuration is available and works.

  Fools my benchmarks! I see the 486 about 2.2 times faster than a 386
at the same clock (I have seen 2.6 elsewhere, so that's close), and for
f.p. the 486 is about 4 times faster than the 387.

  I have no idea where you got your information, but it seems to be
completely wrong.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/04/90)

    On the other hand, (presumably) all of the bugs in the 386 are
known, along with the work arounds.  By the time we get to that point
with the 486, Intel will be producing the 586.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975