[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM Compatible Choices

straley@pro-graphics.cts.com (Scott Straley) (03/01/90)

Hello,
   I'm looking to be putting up a board in about 10 - 14 months. I have a
relatively low budget and have a bunch of questions:
        1) Is speed a big factor, I mean between 12 and 16 MHz. Will that
improve the transmission speed any? I will eventually (hopefully) add a second
and/or more lines.
        2) Is there any software that allows access to USENET feeds, mail and
such; can run multi-line, and operates under MS-DOS ?
        3) What type of memory requirements should I look for is 1 meg enough
or should I spring for 2 or 4.
        4) What are the configurations and costs of some existing boards?

I want to be able to run this effeciently, and I want it to be an appealing
board. Monney is an issue, but I'd rather wait a few more months to save up
and get the better system if that'd improve things drastically. I know alot of
System Administrators/Operators have spent a lot of money and investigated a
lot of software --- if you can shed some light on any of your successes and
misfortunes, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott Straley

         Scott M Straley    \  ProLine : straley@prographics
         141 Park Place     /  ARPA/DDN: straley@pro-graphics@nosc.mil
         Watchung, NJ 07060 \  Internet: straley@pro-graphics.cts.com
           (201) 561-5025   /  UUCP    : ...crash!pro-graphics!straley
           (201) 755-3239   \  Prodigy : XCBR22A     PC-Link : Straley

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/05/90)

In article <1707@crash.cts.com>, straley@pro-graphics.cts.com (Scott Straley) writes:
>         1) Is speed a big factor, I mean between 12 and 16 MHz. Will that
> improve the transmission speed any? I will eventually (hopefully) add a second
> and/or more lines.

Get a '386 (even an SX) over a 286 and you will be in much better condition
if and when you decide to multitask.

>         2) Is there any software that allows access to USENET feeds, mail and
> such; can run multi-line, and operates under MS-DOS ?

Waffle works fine - and should run under Desqview with little or no problems.

>         3) What type of memory requirements should I look for is 1 meg enough
> or should I spring for 2 or 4.

It depends on the motherboard density and price of ram chips at the time you
are buying.  I would suggest 2 megs for starters - but if you get a 386 make
sure you get one that will allow for at least 4 megs on the motherboard.

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar