[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Software/Hardware Necessities for a DOS System

gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana) (03/04/90)

My father-in-law just put together a fairly nice DOS system; tower
conifiguration, VGA graphics, 386SX microprocessor, 1.2Mbyte 5.25" floppy,
1.44Mbyte 3.5" floppy, 40Mbyte internal harddrive, 2400 baud internal modem
with MNP, keyboard with built trackball, DOS 3.3, etc.

Now for the questions :-)

What can't he live without ( I should mention that I personally am not very
DOS-literate, sort of a functional illiterate ) -- both in software and
hardware?

I've already mentioned the hardware, what I know of in software is; Procomm,
Harvard Graphics, and Enable ( which I've never heard of ).  I know he has
more, I just don't know what else.

So...suggestions anyone?

Oh, and one other thing, does anyone out there have any experience with the
TrackStar 128E board?  It's a coproccessor that emulates an Apple //e.

Thanks for your help!

PLEASE NOTE: I'm posting this via my wife's account so please send e-mail to:
| Jonathan Neuenschwander                        |"My views on evolution?    |
| USENET:   tippy!buzz@newton.physics.purdue.edu | I think Darwin was        |
| AMERICA ONLINE:  Buzz Lee                      | adopted." --Steven Wright |
|________________________________________________|___________________________|
|DISCLAIMER:  The opinions and views depicted here are completely fictious.  |
|Any resemblence to any actual opinions or views, either living or dead, is  |
|purely coincidental.                                                        |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (03/06/90)

in article <8106@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana) says:
Subject: Re: Trackstar 128-E

gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana):

> My father-in-law just put together a fairly nice DOS system; tower
> conifiguration, VGA graphics, 386SX microprocessor, 1.2Mbyte 5.25" floppy,
> 1.44Mbyte 3.5" floppy, 40Mbyte internal harddrive, 2400 baud internal modem
> with MNP, keyboard with built trackball, DOS 3.3, etc.

Nice system!

> I've already mentioned the hardware, what I know of in software is; Procomm,
> Harvard Graphics, and Enable ( which I've never heard of ).  I know he has
> more, I just don't know what else.

As far as software goes, there are some nice public domain/shareware DOS
utilities that are available.  AutoMenu to get you to your programs quickly.
A command line editor like CED or DosEdit.  HOT boot to get you out of a
hung program without rebooting your machine.  LIST is also fantastic, and
getting better.  You can get many of these via email, wanna know how?
Call me at 205-730-8614 during work hours.
Commerical stuff: Norton Utilities and Fastback are essentials on my list.

> Oh, and one other thing, does anyone out there have any experience with the
> TrackStar 128E board?  It's a coproccessor that emulates an Apple //e.

I am a dealer of these boards and can send you an information package on
their latest, the E and the Plus.  They use your PC's keyboard, video, floppy
and hard drives, and external Apple drives.  They retail for $445, but I
can sell you one for $400.  You should call me soon though: 205-895-0751,
by the 10th if possible.  I may change dealer status and lose the low price.
I use one myself.  Briefly you can store Apple files on MSDOS diskettes,
create Prodos partitions on your hard disk, use an Apple drive, or certain
models of IBM 360K drives as Apple drives.  Text and binary files can be
transferred between IBM MS/PC DOS and Apple Prodos/DOS3.3, so you can move
data between AppleWorks / AppleWriter and Lotus1-2-3/WordPerfect/Dbase.
They really are neat and the availability of educational Apple II software
is overwhelming.  Plus, AppleWorks 3.0 is a work of art.  :)  I am into
both IBM & Apple II's.  I was an Apple II clubs newsletter editor for 3
years.  Please give me a call of send me email and I can call you.
I'm at ...!uunet!ingr!fordke   _OR_   fordke@ingr.com
You can also call my BBS:   The Micro Magic BBS is at 205-830-2363.

--
-- Internet: fordke@ingr.com     -- `The Ameliorated Factotum'
-- UUCP: ...!uunet!ingr!fordke   --