[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DRAM Price

BARTHELEMY-O@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) (02/07/90)

Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?

Thanks for any advice .			Olivier.

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (02/08/90)

> Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
> ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
> is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?

probably just the opposite- the 3 major Japanese DRAM manufacturers
agreed to slow production by 5-10% a few weeks ago (curiously right
before US Memories announced it was folding- can you say "Insider
Information"?  sure, I knew you could...).  The current supply will
last into summer, but then expect prices to rise a bit (not as bad as
the last shortage, tho).  My slant on the thing is that they want to
keep production low enough to increase profit, but not too low as to
create any competition movement (ex: USM).  When USM was formed, they
just undercut the price to make USM a non-profitable venture to join
effectively starving it for capital.  Then, increase prices and recoup
money after it's demise.  It's just opinion, but i like it...

						kevin

ps: the bottom line is, if you're going to buy this year, buy now.

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (02/08/90)

In article <40970043@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
>> Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
>> ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
>> is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?
>
>probably just the opposite- the 3 major Japanese DRAM manufacturers
>agreed to slow production by 5-10% a few weeks ago (curiously right
>before US Memories announced it was folding- can you say "Insider
>Information"?  sure, I knew you could...).  ...

Yes, the Japanese makers have slowed production a bit, but you missed the
main reason for it.  The technology is now old enough that the Taiwanese and
Koreans have gotten up to speed, and are starting to flood the market with
chips.  I wouldn't worry too much about a shortage.
--
--------|	Look at the fingers of your hand if you want to know how things
Alien   |	  that are different can be the same.  - Mikhail Naimy

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/15/90)

In article <12564282123019@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, BARTHELEMY-O@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) writes:
> Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
> ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
> is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?

$8.25 for 1 meg by 80NS was the going price two weeks ago, but I heard
late last week the price was going up around .50 /chip and something like
$100 for 386 CPU chips.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

Elbereth@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (02/25/90)

> In article <40970043@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
> >> Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
> >> ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
> >> is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?

Yes, it's a bit late for a follow-up, but I've been busy, and am still
trying to catch up with the news rather than just clear it all out.

You're not that far out, but the reason the Japanese have slowed production
of 1Mb DRAMs has less to do with nobbling the competition, and more to do
with promoting sales of 4Mb DRAMs - a method of nobbling the competition in
itself.
Essentially, 1Mb prices have been tied to 4Mb, at 20% of the 4Mb's price
(chip for chip, not bit for bit!). Both are expected to follow the slow
-30% per annum curve for the forseeable future, and the advent of the 16Mb
devices next year is unlikely to impact upon this.
Put another way, waiting a couple of moths is worth little more than the
interest the bank pays. A couple of years would pay well.

Dave E.

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (02/28/90)

 Elbereth@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) posts...
:> >> Does anyone have a reasonable forecast on how low the price for 1 Meg, 100
:> >> ns Drams will end up (through mail-order companies) ? I need som more RAM,
:> >> is it worth waiting a couple of months more ?
:> >
:
:Yes, it's a bit late for a follow-up, but I've been busy, and am still
:trying to catch up with the news rather than just clear it all out.
:
:Essentially, 1Mb prices have been tied to 4Mb, at 20% of the 4Mb's price
:(chip for chip, not bit for bit!). Both are expected to follow the slow
:-30% per annum curve for the forseeable future, and the advent of the 16Mb
:devices next year is unlikely to impact upon this.
:Put another way, waiting a couple of moths is worth little more than the
                                      ^^^^^
:interest the bank pays. A couple of years would pay well.

  Does this mean that these devices are still buggy?

                                                      ---Peter

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/02/90)

In article <602@marvin.moncam.co.uk>, Elbereth@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:

> You're not that far out, but the reason the Japanese have slowed production
> of 1Mb DRAMs has less to do with nobbling the competition, and more to do
> with promoting sales of 4Mb DRAMs - a method of nobbling the competition in
> itself.

	Another reason that the Japanese have slowed production is that
most low priced 1Mbit chips coming into the U.S. seem to be Korean in
origin, Samsung is the brand I heard most often. I was actually
specifically looking for 1M NEC chips, but almost no suppliers carry
them anymore, it seems.
	I guess that the reason U.S. Memories is defunct is that they saw
that 4Mbit chips were too close to commodity time to allow them to get
their act together...
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (03/06/90)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.ibm.pc / Elbereth@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) /  4:31 am  Feb 25, 1990 /
> Essentially, 1Mb prices have been tied to 4Mb, at 20% of the 4Mb's price
> (chip for chip, not bit for bit!). Both are expected to follow the slow
> -30% per annum curve for the forseeable future, and the advent of the 16Mb
> devices next year is unlikely to impact upon this.

okic- didn't know the 4Mb chips were in full-scale, high-yield production
yet, tho.  Also- do you have any more info on the 16Mb chips?  would think
that with the traditional processes, yield would drop dramatically with
density being this high....

					thanks,
					  kevbop