[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AMI BIOS Setup Question

sid@sigsun.cad.mcc.com (Sid Sidhartha) (03/02/90)

I had bought a no-name clone 386/20 with 1M and recently upgraded it with
another 1M.  After I installed the extra 1M and powered up the machine, I was
told to run the set-up routine.

Right now, the machine recognizes the extra 1M, but, on my confgiguration table
it still tells me that banks 2/3 are disabled.  What gives?  How do I set it up
so that it tells me that banks 2/3 are enabled with 256K DRAM chips?  The setup
instructions weren't too clear about this.

regards,
sid
Sid Sidhartha, MCC CAD  | ARPA: sid%cadillac@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3343
 Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!sid

jt19840@tut.fi (Tuomi Jyrki Juhani) (03/03/90)

In article <6512@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> sid%cad@MCC.COM (Sid Sidhartha) writes:
>I had bought a no-name clone 386/20 with 1M and recently upgraded it with
>another 1M.  After I installed the extra 1M and powered up the machine, I was
>told to run the set-up routine.
>
>Right now, the machine recognizes the extra 1M, but, on my configuration table
>it still tells me that banks 2/3 are disabled. What gives?  How do I set it up
>so that it tells me that banks 2/3 are enabled with 256K DRAM chips? The setup
>instructions weren't too clear about this.

Most AT/386-clones accept 16MB of physical memory (with 1Mb DRAM devices).
This is divided in four banks, 4 MB each.  With 256Kb DRAM devices this
translates to four banks, 1 MB each.  Now you have the banks 0 (the first MB)
and 1 (the second MB) populated.  Thus banks 2/3 are marked as disabled, as
there is no memory in their area.  So, the BIOS is configuring the memory
all right.

--

Jyrki Tuomi
Internet:  jt19840@tut.fi    UUCP:  ..mcvax!tut!jt19840

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/06/90)

I have 286 machine with 2MB on board
I think what you need is:
 - set the dip switch # 6,7,8
 - run setup: Basic memory 640k
              extended memory 1384 k
   if you want expanded memory then adjust switches # 6,7,8
   and put extended memory 0k and run EMS software

good luck,

-dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (03/06/90)

forgot to include the text again...

you first 2 megs occupy banks 0 and 1. 2 and 3 are for megs 3 and 4.
  this is for a specific case, it varies
.
tim