[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway Orders

v193evnb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (03/03/90)

RE: Gateway order-

	Tothose who have placed orders and have yet to receive-
How did you get your order in?  I'd like to order their 286-12 machine,
but can't even get a "salesperson" on the phone.  They keep telling me
that they're all busy and will get right back to me.  Called 3 times
last week, and still haven'theard anything.

	I wonder if they will go the way of PC-Network, making money
by taking orders and payment, then not shipping for 4 to 5 months.  The
interest adds up.

Peter

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (03/05/90)

In article <334.25ef7a31@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> v193evnb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

#   RE: Gateway order-

#   How did you get your order in?  I'd like to order their 286-12 machine,
#   but can't even get a "salesperson" on the phone.

I haven't had any difficulty getting a salesman on the line.  In fact,
that was the easy part.  The hard part is getting the machine.

I wanted a 25 MHz 386 but was told they had a problem getting
motherboards so they only have a kluge solution available right now.
I went ahead and ordered the 20 MHz 386 that you see in the ads, but
had them put the 160 Meg disk with ESDI controller in it.

I ordered on Feb 15th.  On Feb 26th, I got a call and was told that
they would start building the machine, and that the machine would be
shipped on March 1, after the 48 hour burn-in was complete.  They said
they would call on the 1st and confirm that the machine is being
shipped that day.  On March 1st, they called and said they "were 1
week behind in production and it would be another week before they
shipped the machine".  One of the guys at work said it looks like they
had a problem with the hard disk and don't want to tell you about that.

This guy at work ordered the same machine that I did, except that he
got the 60 Meg drive.  His order was 2 days ahead of mine.  His
machine came on March 2.

He is really happy with the machine.  I guess my only gripe is the
delay in getting one of these things once you've placed an order.

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

nts0302@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Bob Fisher) (03/06/90)

From article <DSAMPSON.90Mar5093033@x102a.harris-atd.com>, by dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163):
# In article <334.25ef7a31@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> v193evnb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
#
# I ordered on Feb 15th.  On Feb 26th, I got a call and was told that
# they would start building the machine, and that the machine would be
# shipped on March 1, after the 48 hour burn-in was complete.  They said
# they would call on the 1st and confirm that the machine is being
# shipped that day.  On March 1st, they called and said they "were 1
# week behind in production and it would be another week before they
# shipped the machine".  One of the guys at work said it looks like they
# had a problem with the hard disk and don't want to tell you about that.

It's not necessarily the drive.  My machine was originally scheduled to ship
Feb 23.  Due to "production delays", it shipped Feb 28 (3 working days late)
and arrived Mar 2.  I had to call them to find out about the late shipment.

I bought the 386-20 with a Seagate 4096 (80 MB) and NEC 3D monitor.
Beats the socks off my 8 Mhz XT at home and the 12 Mhz 286 I use at work.

--
Bob Fisher
US Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center

klotz@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (david.a.klotzbach) (03/06/90)

From article <334.25ef7a31@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>, by v193evnb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu:
> RE: Gateway order-
>
> 	I wonder if they will go the way of PC-Network, making money
> by taking orders and payment, then not shipping for 4 to 5 months.
> Peter

I had no trouble placing my order four weeks ago and am currently only
worried about how to get software from Microsoft that works. When I placed
my order, I was told that it would take 2-3 weeks for my computer to ship.
It shipped 19 day's after my order. It arrived exactly 3 weeks from the
day I placed the order and worked immediately out of the box.

If they are busy now, it could be that the first batch of income tax
returns are coming in and people are ordering computers. Gateways prices
are so much better than any other mail order house that this does not
supprise me.

I only had three problems with my new machine when it arrived.

1) Procomm was not able to dial 1800 number!!!!! It seems that
   in fact procomm 2.4x was not able to dial any number with
   more than 7 digits successfully. I solved this by switching
   to Qmodem 4.0. ( I don't work for or recieve royalty from
   either of these vendors).

2) My MSC mouse version 2.0 did not work. This was a simple
   case of trying to save money by moving my old mouse to
   a 20mhz machine and the software couldn't hack the program.
   A newer mouse solved this problem. I don't know why I thought
   that this would have worked, but it didn't.

3) THOSE IDIOTS AT MICROSOFT!!!!!! on the cover of "Microsoft(R)
   Windows/386 presentation Manager" the following are listed as
   the system requirements
   * 1Mb memory (2 Mb recommended minimum) <- I got 4 Meg
   * DOS 3.1 or higher <- I got 4.01
   * One 1.2 Mb(5 1/4") or 1.4 Mb( 3 1/2") disk drive <- both
   * One hard disk (with 2 Mb available storage space) <- 67.5 Mb
   * Graphics adapter card( COMPAQ graphics adapter;
			    IBM VGA, IBM EGA, or compatible) <- ATI VGA
   I read all the documentation on installing the software and was sure
   that I was okay. So I open the disks, therebye owning the package for
   ever, installed it and executed the command "win386".

    And what to my wondering eyes should appear?
	Error: Unsupported DOS version

    What the ____ I said, I have 4.01 and thats greater than 3.1 and
 its written by the same people who wrote this restriction. I guess I
 better look at the book again. Whats this on page 29,
   You are using a version of DOS other than 3.1 3.2 or 3.3.
   Check the Windows/386 system requirements and install a correct
   DOS version.

  Solution: either buy a version of 3.3, split my nice big disk into
	    at least 3 smaller parts, and install windows,
	    or, sit and wait for the next version of windows to come
	    out so I can find yet another obscure message about how
	    it won't work for left handed people. ( gee I wander if
	    Borland is ready to get into the OS add-on market?)