[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help needed with a problem in using Procomm for terminal emulation

faheem@cascade.Stanford.EDU (Faheem Akram) (03/07/90)

I have a PC-XT connected to a main frame through a RS232 connection.  I
am using the PC as a terminal by running Procomm on it in the terminal
emulation mode, emulating the H-19 terminal.  Everything seems to work
fine, except when I try to use the editor EMACS.  Once I start editing
a file under Emacs, the problem I face is that if I want to go back to
delete a particular character on a particular line, I cannot see the
effect of the Cntrl-D key.  The Cntrl-D key is supposed to delete a character.
However I do not see any effect.  I have verified that Emacs does receive
a Cntrl-D when I press the Cntrl-D. I verified this as follows:
1.  By using the describe-key function of Emacs.
2.  By using Cntrl-D then saving the file, getting out of Emacs and then
looking at the file with either EMACS or LESS.  The saved file does show that
the character I ahd deleted is indeed gone.
  It therefore seems to me that the problem is that my screen is somehow
not updated when I use Cntrl-D.  Other delete commands such as ESC-H also
(delete backwards) also do not work.

By the way the operating system on the main frame is Ultrix.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and or solutions for this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Faheem Akram

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (03/07/90)

In article <1342@cascade.Stanford.EDU> faheem@cascade.ARPA (Faheem Akram) writes:
>I have a PC-XT connected to a main frame through a RS232 connection.  I
>am using the PC as a terminal by running Procomm on it in the terminal
>emulation mode, emulating the H-19 terminal.  Everything seems to work
>fine, except when I try to use the editor EMACS.  Once I start editing
>a file under Emacs, the problem I face is that if I want to go back to
>delete a particular character on a particular line, I cannot see the
>effect of the Cntrl-D key.  The Cntrl-D key is supposed to delete a character.

Try using the VT102 emulation instead of H-19. This is what I use with my
PC with Procomm, and I haven't had any problems with it.

 Ron Baalke                       |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@jems.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |