[comp.sys.ibm.pc] packard-bell - anyone know of them?

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (03/04/90)

Packard Bell is offering an XT-compatible computer with
640kb RAM, 30MB Harddisk, CGA-monitor, 4 slots on an
XT class machine, with cpu switchable between 4.77/10mhz.
The price was $899, including a 14" CGA monitor.

My friend is considering this for his first foray into
computers. I welcome any email directly to me regarding,
1-compatibility, i.e. lotus et al
2-relability, i.e. is a good, reliable computer.
I hate to see my friend get a machine and then have all
sorts of problems with it....

Any help from fellow netters is most appreciated!

many thanks.....

joec@morgan.com

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (03/06/90)

In article <765@s6.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>Packard Bell is offering an XT-compatible computer with
>640kb RAM, 30MB Harddisk, CGA-monitor, 4 slots on an
>XT class machine, with cpu switchable between 4.77/10mhz.
>The price was $899, including a 14" CGA monitor.
>
>My friend is considering this for his first foray into
>computers. I welcome any email directly to me regarding,
>I hate to see my friend get a machine and then have all
>sorts of problems with it....

  While I can not speak for the XT-Class machine, I can say that
  I have had MONUMENTAL TROUBLE with their 286 class machine, so
  much so that out of frustration I (luckily) got my money back and
  basically vowed to never to purchase a PB computer again.

  What I can say about PB as a whole is their HORRENDOUS technical
  support.  I've had two different techs give two differents answers
  within minutes of each other. You will NEVER get a technician
  on a first call and I've had them wait for over a week to call
  back when I had a machine that was DEAD IN THE WATER (bad mother
  board - for the second time) and I needed it.

  Don't be fooled by their 120-day, 72-hour or less on-site support, either.
  Cause that 72-hour or less is a contract between you and PB's outside
  service contractor's -- not between you and PB.  If PB doesn't get
  back to you in week, it's your tough luck. etc.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

todd@locus.com (Todd Johnson) (03/07/90)

In article <765@s6.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
;
;My friend is considering this for his first foray into
;computers. I welcome any email directly to me regarding,
;1-compatibility, i.e. lotus et al
;2-relability, i.e. is a good, reliable computer.
;I hate to see my friend get a machine and then have all
;sorts of problems with it....

My sister has acquired a Packard-Bell 286 clone with VGA display
and so far (since November) has only had one problem: sometimes
the hard disk doesn't want to boot. A power cycle solves the problem.

I've seen this on my own Seagate 4096 disk and suspect it's a problem
with temperature changes affecting tracking (I haven't noticed similar
problems at work but we simply don't turn off our machines), so I don't
count it as a major worry.

She also got a Packard-Bell modem which has had no problems except
that the original power supply was marginal.

--
lcc!todd@seas.ucla.edu
{randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-se!lcc!todd