From: wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM)
To: acero@tank.uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: Recommendations sought for 386sx motherboard
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
In article <7526@tank.uchicago.edu> you write:
>I would like to upgrade my system as painlessly (cheaply) as possible, probably
>to a 386sx motherboard.  I'd like to ask the net for recommendations on a
>motherboard with the following features:
>
>	- 386sx CPU (or better)
>	- Accepts 80287 math coprocessor
>	- Permits 16-bit video I/O (compatible with ATI wonder card 512K)
>	- costs less than $600
>	- optional, accepts 2MB add in board (EMS 4.0)
>
>Please mail responses to me, and I will summarized in a week to 10 days.
>

>Anibal Antonio Acero			acero@tank.uchicago.edu
>5640 S. Ellis				acero@sar2.uchicago.edu
>U of Chicago, James Franck Institute
>Chicago, IL 60637			 (312) 702-7234

If you are considering getting a 386sx board it would probably make
sense to get a mother board that can use the same memory as your add in EMS
memory board and not even use the EMS board.
    This will allow you to take the memory off the EMS board and put it
on the mother board.  This will allow you to use the memory as extended
memory rather than brain-dead EMS expanded memory. [if the memory is the
right type and speed.]

	If you are worried about Applications that can only use EMS,
you can use one of the powerfull Emulators that take special advantage
of the 386's abilities.  By using your memory this way you also use it
for multitasking and other neat things.......

	Dean

From: Mark Davis <davis@cs.unc.edu>
To: acero@tank.uchicago.edu

Cheaper than that.  The going price for 386SX motherboards is about
$300.  (I ordered a 386SX computer 3 days ago, so I have been watching
the market.)  Everyone I investigated has AMI or Phoenix BIOS, name brand
(such at C &T ) chip sets and at least 6 slots with at least four
16-bit slots.  Video and EMS board should be no problem.  Most designs
allow up to 8 Meg, but I have seen one 1 Meg board and a couple 4
Megs.

All I have seen take 387SX instead of 287.  I presume you want to save
>>                                            ^^^^^^ YES!!!!!!
your old 287.  That may not be worth it.

I have seen several places selling a 386SX motherboard with 1Meg ram
for $450.  (Sabina 1-800-2-sabina, )

You want a name?  Mylex MXS 386-26 $390, USM 1-415-623-9040,
				   $420, EDO 1-714-8677

If you really want to spend $600, 386-20 boards go for about $650.
(But then you still have to buy memory ...)

Check out Computer Shopper.  By the way, don't expect prices to go
down anytime soon.  All 386SX and 386DX are on allocation, and some
clone makers have already bumped prices up a little.

Hope this helps - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

From: ejy@honasa.att.com (Eugene Yurek)
To: acero@tank.uchicago.edu

Hi,

I have a MYLEX 386SX motherboard in a machine.  I am very satisfied with
it, though it fails your request in one way: uses a 387SX, not a 287.
I don't know of ANY 386SX motherboards that use the 287!!!  I'm not saying
that there aren't any, just that I haven't come across any.

The MYLEX 386SX motherboard uses SIMM 100ns. memories.  To gain full-speed
operation, you need 2 banks minimum (1MB with 256kx9 SIMMS or 4MB with
1Mx9 SIMMS).  This is because they use a bank-interleaving technique
to gain full-speed operation, as opposed to using a CACHE (I've not seen
any 386SX motherboard with a cache; I think this is because a cache would
add enough to the price that it would convince you to buy a full 386
motherboard).  You get 8 slots on this motherboard; I think one or two are
8 bit only, and the rest are 16bit.  Also, the chip-set that mylex uses
to control the 386SX on the motherboard has a serial and parallel port
built in.  Any reputable MYLEX dealer should be able to include the
necessary cables to bring these to the back of whatever case you have.
This is nice because it frees a slot on the motherboard.

I have 2MB on the motherboard, a Paradise 8 bit VGA+ card and Magnavox 7BM749
Monochrome VGA monitor, a Western-Digital WD1006VMM2 controller (hard/floppy
1:1 interleave) with 2 CDC 86MB hard drives and a 1.44MB floppy,  an EVEREX
60MB external 5.5MB/minute tape backup unit, and soon about another 4MB of
RAM on an extended memory card (I don't know from which manufacturer yet,
because I'm still looking).

I'm running AT&T UNIX V/386 Release 3.2.2 as well as MS-DOS 3.3 under
SIMULTASK.  SIMULTASK allows you to run DOS under UNIX and switch back
and forth between the two (this sounds like a programmers nightmare for
the people who wrote SIMULTASK, but it works fine for us users).

The machine came up the first time with no problems and runs UNIX and
DOS flawlessly.

As for the matter of expanded memory...
You don't need an EMS board with a 386 machine.  An extended memory board
and a program like quarterdecks QEMM-386 provide the same (and better)
functionality.  Remember, the reason for expanded memory was that the
lowly 8086 could NOT address more than 1MB, so the inventors had to Kludge
up a card that allowed it to.  The 386 does not have this problem.
Consequently you don't need a expanded memory Kludge card; a simple (and
inexpensive) extended memory card along with a 386 expanded memory manager
(like QEMM-386) gives you a lot more functionality, since all the memory
mapping that an expanded memory card does is now done by the memory management
unit on the 386 or 386SX.  Plus, you now have additional execution memory
for programs like DesqView, which, by the way, runs wonderfully on the 386.

I hope these comments help a little.  By no means is the MYLEX 386SX the
do-all end-all 386SX motherboard.  I'm just relating my experiences.
By the way, I believe you can probably find the motherboard without memory
with the serial/paralle cable for between $500 and $550.  If you want
one, and can't find it for this price, let me know and I'll give you the
name and number of the place I got it from.

Good Luck.

--
Eugene Yurek				Internet: ejy@honasa.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories			    uucp: ...!att!honasa!ejy

From: ejy@honasa.att.com (Eugene Yurek)

Hi,
There are some older-style 386 motherboards that still use DIP
memories.  I think most of these, however, don't have a cache.
This means that no matter how fast your RAM is, your going to be
running with several wait-states. If you decide to buy a 386
Motherboard, as opposed to a 386SX, do yourself a favor...
	BUY ONE WITH AN ON-BOARD CACHE
You won't regret this, as the cache makes a big difference in
system speed (and unfortunately, increases the price).
As a small example of why you want a cache, the speed of the cache
memory on even a 20MHz 386 is in the 35ns range.  Just try getting
DRAM that even comes close to that speed!!!

I also have a plain-vanilla MS-DOS machine that is a clone I built
from the ground up.  It has a MYLEX MI386-20 motherboard.
This is a 20MHz 386 motherboard, with a 64kb cache.  A friend who
has the sameA friend who has the same setup ran some benchmarks of the processor
speed when running completely out of ram on the motherboard, and
when running completely out of ram on a BOCARAM-AT card (150ns ram,
16 bit bus at 8MHZ) in the same machine.  There was only a small
difference (about 10%) in the execution times for both tests.
The cache definately had an impact on the execution speed.

As for motherboards that still can use the 287, I'm not sure you are
going to be very successful.  Most of these motherboards were introduced
in the transition period around the time the 386 was announced.  This was
also the time when Intel hadn't yet released the 387 (or was it that they
had and noone could afford it ?).  Anyway, I think most of these
motherboards are long gone.  If you do find one, chances are that it
probably won't have a cache.  Caches on inexpensive motherboards have
only come into vogue in the last year or so, because of the availability
of relatively inexpensive fast static RAM.

Sorry for taking this long to respond to your note.  I came down with the
FLU last sunday, and have been home since.  I have to go to work this
following monday, or I'm going to go nuts!!!

--
Eugene J. Yurek				Internet: ejy@honasa.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories			    uucp: ...!att!honasa!ejy
Holmdel, NJ				   Voice: (201) 949-3753
My sincere, whole-hearted thanks to those who responded!
Epilogue: I'm still plodding along with my old braindead 286/287 12 MHz system.

Anibal Antonio Acero (tony)		acero@tank.uchicago.edu
5640 S. Ellis, JFI 340
University of Chicago
Chicago, IL 60637			(312) 702-7234