[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keyboards

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (04/22/88)

My experience with keyboards now extends to five, so I'll pass on
my prejudices as a form of consumerism.

1.  Original true-blue XT:
    Extremely clattery, little spring resistance, itty-bitty
    return key.  Not very good, but not the worst.

2.  Original Zenith 158 XT clone:
    Don't know who made it, but it was the second-best, in terms
    of touch character and layout.

3.  Genuine Keytronics 5151:
    Quite an odd keyboard to *look* at, because the keys are an
    odd shape (yes, some of us do look at our hands) that for me
    I wear bifocals) created the illusion of flatness or lack of
    vertical relief to the kayboard.  But by far my greatest
    objections to that keyboard were that it is extremely spongy
    as to touch, with no feel of "making" the characters (with
    the system unit under the desk, clickers wouldn't help much.
    Also, I happen to hate having the function keys across the
    top, which is clearly an emerging standard.  I didn't like
    the positions of the control/alt/shift cluster, either.  In
    sum, very disappointing after all the hoopla about what a
    great thing the were.

4.  Jameco clone keyboard:
    A loaner while waiting for a new KB for my new office machine
    (Club AT clone, only comes with 101-key keyboard), this is
    another 101-key keyboard with a totally awful touch, very odd
    scratchy noise (loud too) as the keys go down, and a totally
    awful arrangement of shift/control/alt.

5.  Maxiswitch 84-key:
    Came with my first Club AT clone (the home machine).  Perfect
    for me.  Good touch, very quiet and solid, function keypad to
    the left, esc and tilde keys interchange by a switch on the
    bottom (I like esc next to the main keypad 1).  Am trying hard
    to locate another one to replace the preceding (think I've
    succeeded).

If you're relatively new to computing and expect to do a lot of
typing, give quite a bit of thought to your keyboard, since it's
the part of the machine you use the most, in some sense.  The location
of function keys, numeric and cursor keypads, and various shifters
is a matter of taste and habit, and you can almost always get into
some sort of argument about what's better or best.  But don't just
go blindly into accepting whatever keyboard comes with your machine,
because a different one could make a significant difference to your
life.

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (04/23/88)

In addition, PC Clones Magazine (spinoff of Computer Shopper) has a
review of the feel of several new keyboards, latest issue.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) (04/24/88)

In article <171@dogie.edu> anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>My experience with keyboards now extends to five, so I'll pass on
>my prejudices as a form of consumerism.

I've had experience with a few too:

1) JDR MCT-5060 ("AT" style - func. keys on left).  ESC key is dangerously
   close to the backspace key.  The keys bottom out on a foam rubber sheet,
   for a spongy feel that few could tolerate.  Luckily, I was able to sell it.

2) JDR MAXI-5339 (101 key, switchable CapsLock<--->Ctrl).  A very nice key-
   board.  When you press a key, the resistance increases, then about 75% of
   the way down, you pass a "hump" and the resistance decreases just before
   you hit bottom.  Sort of like a silent "clicky" keyboard.

3) Northgate CT-101 (101 key, switchable CapsLock<-->Ctrl).  Another nice
   keyboard.  Mildly clicky.  Also, you get 30 days to return it if you
   don't like the feel.

4) FKB2930 (101 key).  This Fujitsu keyboard came on my AT clone from
   Computer Products United.  A solid, non-clicky touch with just the right
   amount of resistance.  CapsLock, ScrollLock, and NumLock have status lights
   right in the keys.  Excellent keyboard.

For what it's worth, there you are.
--
Kevin Tubbs, 5152 Upson, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 14853  (607) 255-8703
kevin@calvin.ee.cornell.edu  {uunet,rochester}!cornell!calvin!kevin

doug@homxc.UUCP (D.SULPY) (06/27/88)

With all the discussion of the Northgate keyboards, I'd like to
hear from other people who have bought this product. Are there
any similarly priced keyboards that come highly recommended?

wjm@rigel.uucp (23384-mitchell) (03/03/90)

Admittedly, the keyboard layout and feel is a matter of personal preference.
From my experience with a number of True Blue machines and clones (some
Compaq's and some Brand X), I'm one of those folks who prefers the function
keys on the TOP of the keyboard - they just seem more convenient there for
me (yes, I can and do touch type), particularly when using 1-2-3.
I also strongly favor a 101 key keyboard - the separate cursor keypad is
one of the best improvements I've seen, and I like Northgate's layout for
cursor keys (now if Northgate would only put the F keys on the TOP... but I
can dream, can't I).
As for key feel, the IBM AT 101 key keyboard is my favorite, but I'd really
like to see Big Blue or someone put the Selectric action into computer keys.
I've yet to see anything that matches it, although the old HP 262x terminals
came pretty close.
Regards,
Bill Mitchell
(Disclaimer - these are strictly my personal opinions, and not necessarily
those of my employer or any other person.
IBM and AT are registered trademarks of International Business Machines
Compaq is a registered trademark of Compaq Computer Corporation
Northgate is a trademark of Northgate Computer Systems)

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (03/03/90)

In article <189@towernet.UUCP> wjm@rigel.uucp (23384-mitchell) writes:
>one of the best improvements I've seen, and I like Northgate's layout for
>cursor keys (now if Northgate would only put the F keys on the TOP... but I
>can dream, can't I).

I remember reading in a review that Northgate can provide you with the function
keys on top IN ADDITION TO the ones on the left for about $30.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (03/08/90)

In article <189@towernet.UUCP> wjm@rigel.uucp (23384-mitchell) writes:
>Admittedly, the keyboard layout and feel is a matter of personal preference.

You bet it is.  I used IBM and Keytronic 101 keyboards for quite a while.
Recently I got a couple Fujitsu 101 key units, and find they suit my personal
preference well.  They have just enough feel not to be "cheesy" like the
new cheap Keytronics and Tawainese keyboards seem to be.  The control key is
in the usual 101 key lower left hand corner position on these.

If you really prefer the "click" feel of original IBM keyboards, Honeywell
made (imported?) a couple of models that were perfect.  Haven't seen them
around for a while, they may not still be available.  These were more expensive
than the $40-60 import keyboards.  Keytronics premium line still seems to
have a pretty heathy "click", too. (as opposed to their "econo" models)
These aren't cheap, either.

Now, what I need is a error-correcting keyboard....to keep those spelling
errors to a minimum ;-)

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
  F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
(Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")