[comp.sys.ibm.pc] packard bell

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (03/06/90)

someone asked about packard bell, someone responded, said they suck.

well, i am a tech at an AUTHORIZED Packard Bell Dealer/Service center.

note AUTHORIZED.

Fred Schmi???  or whoever and various refrigerator stores that also happen
to sell stereos and computers and dishwashers do not sell the same machines
we do. they look the same. they are priced less, and don't work as well.,

if you buy buy one at an appliance store, yes you are stuck with go-awful support, and non existant on site thru AT&T. if you buy one thru an AUTHORIZED
dealer/svc center, you get someone like me, with a priority tech support
phone number, and you get 1 or 2 day turn around. at worst. i have moved
welll over 500 Packard Bell machines in the last 4 months and have only
had a handfull of problems. the PB800-16 is the most trouble, but the
PB500 and PB686 machines are fantastic. so are the 386sx w/ onboard VGA and IDE controller, and 386 units. we sell the machines with Western Digital
IDE drives, sometimes Seagate IDE, WD controllers, and WD VGA. i recommend them
all the time. we sell 12 MHZ AT units with 40 megs and mono for @ $1000.
i'd buy one.

tim
.

groupe@mips2.cr.bull.com (Alan Groupe) (03/09/90)

Trippin' (Flippin') Tim writes:

>well, i am a tech at an AUTHORIZED Packard Bell Dealer/Service center.
>
>Fred Schmi???  or whoever and various refrigerator stores that also happen
>to sell stereos and computers and dishwashers do not sell the same machines
>we do. they look the same. they are priced less, and don't work as well.,

Thanks for warning us that Packard Bell sells two qualities of machine that
look identical but don't act that way. With that in mind, I'll make it a
point to avoid Packard Bell products completely.

Alan Groupe