[comp.sys.ibm.pc] expanding the environment / path over 128 bytes

tpf4434@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov (03/09/90)

To: piety@hplred.HP.COM
Subject: Re: How can I set a PATH longer than 128 bytes ?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:

In article <17140003@hplred.HP.COM> you write:
>Robert, I wish I knew the answer to this problem myself.  If you find
>out, please let me know.
>
>My solution around this problem was to rename my directories, using
>short names, so I could get everything I needed to fit into the 128
>char limit.  Also, I broke up the paths into several batch files, each
>for a specific purpose.  For example, cdev.bat sets up only the paths
>& environmental variables necessary for C-code development.
>
>I know the above is a hack, but it *does* get around the limit problem.
>
>Bob

I didn't see your original request, but I think you can accomlish
extending the path in a couple of ways...

1)   avoid using or calling any memory resident programs in the AUTOEXEC
     before the path is set..  the environment will always continue to
     expand itself until a memory resident TSR routine is installed in the
     machine...

2)   consider using the SUBST command to define short drive designations
     for specific directories.. some folks recommend against this, especially
     since you cannot  delete a directory with a SUBST in effect for it,
     nor are you supposed to make backups while a SUBST is in effect..

     I've used it for a couple of years though with no problem..

I hope that helps..

*  Thanks,                                                    *
*      Ted Fabian            NASA Lewis Research Center       *
*                               Cleveland, Ohio               *
*      phone:     216-433-6307  FTS 297-6307   |  disclaimer: *
*      email:     tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov   |  my opinions *
*                 tfabian@earth.lerc.nasa.gov  |  are my own  *