[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How can I set a PATH long

jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) (03/03/90)

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes
Subj: How can I set a path longer than 128 bytes ?

: Message entered 1990 03 02  21:07 :

hR>How can I set my dos PATH variable longer than 128 bytes?  I'm running
hR>DOS 3.3.  It seems when I set my PATH variable in my AUTOEXEC.BAT,
hR>DOS truncates anything longer than 128 bytes.  Is there a way to do
hR>this by assigning shorter environment variables and concatenating
hR>them somehow ? Thanks.

With DOS 3.2 I used a program called Setpath.exe.This program had
one create a an ASCII file that only had the path in it and mine
was about 300 bytes.

The latest version is Setpth13.ZIP.You can get it from most BBS's.
It has been revised to work with DOS 3.3 and 4.x .

You can also get the program for $ 15.00 from:

Covici Computer Systems
220 Dry Mill Road SW APT H
Leesburg, VA 22075
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #1435  jack.lupic@canremote.uucp

william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) (03/09/90)

From: william.pipher@canremote.uucp   (William Pipher)
Subj: How can I set a PATH longer than 128 bytes ?

>In article <5762@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>,
>heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:  How can I set
>my dos PATH variable longer than 128 bytes?  I'm running  DOS 3.3.
>It seems when I set my PATH variable in my AUTOEXEC.BAT,  DOS
>truncates anything longer than 128 bytes.  Is there a way to do
>this by assigning shorter environment variables and concatenating
>them somehow ? Thanks.

And Scott C. Sadow sadow@ncsatl.uucp  replied:

ss>The problem is you are running out of environment space. Check
ss>your DOS manual for the correct syntax, but you need the following
ss>you  CONFIG.SYS: etc.

I disagree.

Under no circumstances can you expect *any* PC/MS DOS command longer
than 127 characters will ever be read, even a PATH statement.  This
limit is totally independent of your config.  Assuming that your
command environment is big enough to support a 127 character PATH
variable, you will still need to shorten it to that length or less!

To do this, try one or the other of:

Plan A:
^^^^^^
1.  Create a directory in c:\ called  C:\BATCH

2.  Have PATH=C:\BATCH;and then the others

3.  Write some batch files to run your applications and put them in
    the batch directory.  A strong reliance on Batch files could make
    things alot easier and dispense with some of your PATH needs.

    Remember that you do not need PATH=C:\WP50 to run word perfect,
    the line   C:\WP50\WP %1  in a batch file does the same thing
    without necessitating the path statement.

Plan B:
^^^^^^
1.  Have the statement  LASTDRIVE=Z  in config.sys

2.  In autoexec.bat the following commands (assuming no
    extended partitions or device drivers are present)

    path=c:\doscom         (where your dos utilties are)
    subst d: c:\batch
    subst e: c:\wp50
    subst f: c:\utils
    subst g: c:\doscom
    subst h: c:\lotus
    subst i: c:\whatever\whoever\whenever
    path=d:\;c:\;e:\;f:\;g:\;h:\;i:\

Substitute your own choices.  If you already have a drive d: or e:
etc., start your subst's with e: or f:.

Be aware that the more items in your path statement (the more
file directory entries requiring searches), the slower your
external commands will be found.  Ensure that your BUFFERS statement
in config.sys is 15 -- 30 especially with Plan B.

Plan A is usually the most efficient over all, in my opinion.

--WmP--
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #3744  william.pipher@canremote.uucp