[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Public Domain Text Editor

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) (02/17/90)

ti>Sigebo) writes: >Does anybody know where (anonymous ftp, ...) I can
ti>find a >simple PD text editor which easily could be used by (almost)
ti>anybody?

ti>Directory /pc/pd2 ted.zip by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi.  Or,
ti>if a shareware editor is ok, you should take a look at qedit208.zip.

   Edwin 1.5c   (EDWIN15C.ZIP) is another Wordstar / Borland IDE
style editor which supports macros and multiple windows. According to
the documentation, it's public domain, although there's a request for
$10 to cover costs if you aks the author for support and / or the
latest version.

   Qedit seems to be smaller / faster / more powerful, and it has
a gee-whiz user interface with popup / pulldown menus and such, but
its registration fee is $45+.

   btw  Edwin 1.5c is quite old. Does anyone know whether the author
is still at Turbo Power Software. I'm inclined to send him $10 as a
token of appreciation for his efforts.

     mark.freedman@canremote.uucp - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4219  Perfection is our MINIMUM stadnard ...

ORCUTT@cc.utah.edu (02/19/90)

Because I use EMACS on all my UNIX machines, I chose
JOVE as my public-domain (actually Freeware) text editor.
I hacked it to support my VGA's strange modes (like
132 columns x 50 lines) by loking in low RAM for
the number of rows and columns on the screen.  It doesn't
support a mouse, except through the arrow-key emulators sold
with some mice, and doesn't use pop-down or any
other kind of menus, but is a good implementation of
EMACS, so it gives me one less editor to learn when
moving from machine to machine.

ph62303@tut.fi (Hartoma Petri Juhani) (02/19/90)

In article <90021712385334@masnet.uucp> mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) writes:
>      Edwin 1.5c   (EDWIN15C.ZIP) is another Wordstar / Borland IDE
>   style editor which supports macros and multiple windows. According to

So is VDE (Visual Document Editor) which can be found from SIMTEL20,
whole path is pd:<msdos.editor>vde15.arc. It's free, written in ASM
and has some configuration parameters. It's quite nice, but still -
QEdit is the most promising of the editors I've tried.
--
$ Petri Hartoma, Tre University of Technology $ "Terve n{kee sen otsallaan- $
$ Internet: ph62303@tut.fi, ph62303@tut.UUCP, $  kin, muttei sit{ laske si- $

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) (02/22/90)

pi>In article <90021712385334@masnet.uucp> mark.freedman@canremote.uucp
pi>(MARK FREEDMAN) writes: >      Edwin 1.5c   (EDWIN15C.ZIP) is another
pi>Wordstar / Borland IDE >   style editor which supports macros and
pi>multiple windows. According to

pi>So is VDE (Visual Document Editor) which can be found from SIMTEL20,
pi>whole path is pd:<msdos.editor>vde15.arc. It's free, written in ASM
pi>and has some configuration parameters. It's quite nice, but still -
pi>QEdit is the most promising of the editors I've tried.

   Not to start an "editor war", but one of the features which sold
me on EDWIN is the ability to handle large files (limited by available
memory). The version of VDE I tried was limited to 64K chunks.

   Qedit seems very good, but I can't justify spending the $50 for it
right now.
     mark.freedman@canremote.uucp - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4219

medin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Ted Medin) (02/23/90)

 Well i will have to put in a word for jove. It does windows and runs
on most other os's so i only have to learn one (1) editor. Would you
believe i run it on my pcjr (well i have 640k). So if you got the ram
then i vote for jove.

c662110@ws5.cis.temple.edu (c662110) (03/10/90)

In article <90030820223206@masnet.uucp> mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) writes:
>ti>Sigebo) writes: >Does anybody know where (anonymous ftp, ...) I can
>ti>find a >simple PD text editor which easily could be used by (almost)
>ti>anybody?

If simplicity is the key, then you may want to give vi a try. It is a
subset of the real vi, and can be downloaded from many BBS's. If you are
interested but couldn't locate it, I'll be happy to mail you a copy.

Calvin Leung              |\|        |[I]|[II]|[I]|[II]|[I]|[II]|[I]|[II]|[I]|