[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Power up PC and NEC 3D

dkchen@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (03/01/90)

Hi, netters:
	Here is a naive question. I have a Gateway 386/20 AT with an NEC 3D
	monitor. The video card I have is an ATI VGA WONDER w/ 512KB. I plug
	them both in a 6-outlet power surge protector. However, whenever I
	turn on the switch on the protector, my computer can only recognize
	EGA mode. Then I have to do a warm boot to let it know that I have
	VGA as well. Is there a race in the power up process for the monitor
	and the computer?

	I understand that excess warm boot can hurt computer and monitor, too.
	That's why I want to solve this"problem".

Thanks in advance.

Dean

ed.leslie@canremote.uucp (ED LESLIE) (03/03/90)

dkchen@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
de>The video card I have is an ATI VGA WONDER w/ 512KB. I plug
de>them both in a 6-outlet power surge protector. However, whenever I
de>turn on the switch on the protector, my computer can only recognize
de>EGA mode. Then I have to do a warm boot to let it know that I have
de>VGA as well. Is there a race in the power up process for the monitor
de>and the computer?

Exactly right. The board senses the type of monitor via the video cable.

de>I understand that excess warm boot can hurt computer and monitor, too.

Warm boots should not be harmful, however the thermal and electrical
shock of too-frequent power down/up is not a good idea.

Regards....Ed Leslie
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #1656  ed.leslie@canremote.uucp

stuart.rose@canremote.uucp (STUART ROSE) (03/04/90)

de> Here is a naive question. I have a Gateway 386/20 AT with an NEC 3D
de> monitor. The video card I have is an ATI VGA WONDER w/ 512KB. I plug
de> them both in a 6-outlet power surge protector. However, whenever I
de> turn on the switch on the protector, my computer can only recognize
de> EGA mode. Then I have to do a warm boot to let it know that I have
de> VGA as well. Is there a race in the power up process for the monitor
de> and the computer?

The monitor MUST be turned on first for the ATI card to recognize
that the monitor is indeed a VGA type. If turned on last, or there
is a race condition, the ATI VGA Wonder defaults to EGA.

I always turn on my monitor first, and turn it off first.
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #2428  From Beautiful Downtown Mississauga

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (03/10/90)

In article <90030820225699@masnet.uucp> stuart.rose@canremote.uucp (STUART ROSE) writes:
>The monitor MUST be turned on first for the ATI card to recognize
>that the monitor is indeed a VGA type. If turned on last, or there
>is a race condition, the ATI VGA Wonder defaults to EGA.

However, even that is not guaranteed to work.  (On my system, the ATI
card can recognize the Multisync 3D about half the time, and it doesn't
seem to matter which one was turned on first.)

To fix this, ATI told me about an undocumented option in VCONFIG, which
I've put in my AUTOEXEC:

 vconfig monitor multisync
 vconfig vga color

I imagine it's undocumented because if you tell it the wrong thing, you
can cause damage, so be careful.

Duncan Murdoch

maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Richard Maine) (03/10/90)

On 3 Mar 90 17:38:00 GMT, stuart.rose@canremote.uucp (STUART ROSE) said:

STUART> The monitor MUST be turned on first for the ATI card to recognize
STUART> that the monitor is indeed a VGA type. If turned on last, or there
STUART> is a race condition, the ATI VGA Wonder defaults to EGA.

STUART> I always turn on my monitor first, and turn it off first.

I have my NEC 3D and 25MHzh clone with an ATI VGA Wonder card on the
same power strip and never have any such problems.  But then, I also
used ATI's VSETUP program to setup the ATI card to expect a NEC 3D
specifically.  This might help.

--

Richard Maine
maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov [130.134.64.6]