[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM freezes computer

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/04/90)

	While I go through the channels with Quarterdeck,  let me ask if
there is anyone else who's had a similar situation.

	When QEMM.SYS is installed as the first line in my CONFIG.SYS, it
displays its message, version 4.23, and then hangs up the computer,
requiring a cold boot.
	If I disable shadow RAM, and use the version of the command
DEVICE=QEMM.SYS ROM, it displays the message, then reboots the computer
on its own, and so on, in infinite loop.

	I have a 80386, with  4M, 640 normal, 384 reserved for shadowing,
and 3072K as QEMM fodder.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/04/90)

In article <2764@aecom.yu.edu>, werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:

> 	When QEMM.SYS is installed as the first line in my CONFIG.SYS, it
> displays its message, version 4.23, and then hangs up the computer,
> requiring a cold boot.
> 	If I disable shadow RAM, and use the version of the command
> DEVICE=QEMM.SYS ROM, it displays the message, then reboots the computer
> on its own, and so on, in infinite loop.
>
> 	I have a 80386, with  4M, 640 normal, 384 reserved for shadowing,
> and 3072K as QEMM fodder.

    You should give more information.  What kind of video card?  Do you
have a network adapter?  What kind of hard drive controller?  What kind
of system board (chip set, specifically)?
    As a first try, take out the 'ROM' specification in the QEMM line,
and leave shadow RAM off.  If I had to guess, I would say that there is
a ROM somewhere in your system that doesn't like what QEMM is doing to it.
If it boots, you can run QEMM.EXE to find out what QEMM thinks it can do.
If desperate, put 'X=A000-FFFF' in the QEMM line.  This will keep QEMM
from doing much of anything that could be dangerous.  Then you can start
including features one at a time to see what is causing the failure.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/06/90)

I have had similar wierd problems with Desqview on a Jameco 386/20 motherboard
with an AMI bios.  I am using QEMM version 4.23 and device=qemm.sys is
the first line in config.sys.  If I had any parameters at all the system
would lock up, requiring a hardware reset.  I would get a Internal Stack
Overflow System Halted error.  The cause was having device=ansi.sys anywhere
in the config.sys file.  I can load a bunch or other dd's into both normal
and high memory, but ansi.sys locks up QEMM with any parameters on the line.
With no parameters, is and ansi.sys work fine.  I am using PC DOS 3.31.

                                         Brent H. Besler

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp (BRADLEY GRIGOR) (03/06/90)

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:

wu>        While I go through the channels with Quarterdeck,  let me ask
wu>if there is anyone else who's had a similar situation.

wu>        When QEMM.SYS is installed as the first line in my
wu>CONFIG.SYS, it displays its message, version 4.23, and then hangs up
wu>the computer, requiring a cold boot.
wu>        If I disable shadow RAM, and use the version of the command
wu>DEVICE=QEMM.SYS ROM, it displays the message, then reboots the
wu>computer on its own, and so on, in infinite loop.

wu>        I have a 80386, with  4M, 640 normal, 384 reserved for
wu>shadowing, and 3072K as QEMM fodder.

There isn't much to go on here.  However, when I first installed
QEMM V5.00 on my 20Mhz AT/386, which uses the Chips &
Technologies CS8236-20 chipset, QEMM would reboot indefinitely in
the manner you describe.

I discovered that by default QEMM was assuming that my C&T
chipset supported "shadow RAM".  Whether or not this is true,
disabling "shadow RAM" support, by putting the NOSH switch on the
QEMM.SYS command line, eliminated the reboot loop.  My current
QEMM.SYS command line looks like this:

    DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM.SYS NOEMS NOSH NR MAPS=0 X=0000-BFFF
           RAM ROM=C000-C7FF ROM=CC00-CDFF EXTMEM=1072

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp  :  ALEX is coming to Toronto in April.
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada     :  TelePoker will be there - will YOU?
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #4613  New Year's Resolution: 1024x768!

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russ Herman) (03/10/90)

In article <90030820225892@masnet.uucp> bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp (BRADLEY GRIGOR) writes:
>I discovered that by default QEMM was assuming that my C&T
>chipset supported "shadow RAM".  Whether or not this is true,
>disabling "shadow RAM" support, by putting the NOSH switch on the
>QEMM.SYS command line, eliminated the reboot loop.

Another problem that NOSH can cure is almost the inverse.  When I installed
QEMM5.0, I discovered that I could no longer warm-boot.  NOSH fixed that.
In the course of my fiddling, I discovered that the system seemed faster
letting the chipset do the RAM shadowing than letting QEMM.

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh